Independent Princess (hats?) YKTTW Discussion
|Independent Princess (hats?)|
A royal daughter who rejects suitors for any reason
"I am Merida, firstborn descendent of Clan Dun Broch! And I'll be shooting for my own hand!"''Princesses are expected to marry princes or at least someone to continue their parent's royal line. This one doesn't want to. She might think that no one is good enough for her or she might just not be ready yet. She likes being the king's daughter but she might resort to rejecting the royal family if she's faced with an Arranged Marriage. To maintain her independence she might use attitude, a weapon or diplomacy. There's a good chance her interest in sex or friendship is just as low as her interest in romance. Contrast Princess Classic.
— Princess Merida, Brave
- The fairy tale "King Thrushbeard''—the princess does not want any man, so goes out of her way to find fault with all her suitors. This being a less tolerant age, her father declares she will be wed to the next man to come to the castle. He means it, too, and she is married to a wandering fiddler. It all turns out okay in the end.
- In Aladdin the sultan's daughter, Jasmine, says that she's not a prize to be won by a prince she describes as a stuffed shirt, swaggering, peacock.
- When Jocelyn, the noblewoman from A Knight's Tale, is told by the young knights that they will win the tournament for her, she says that they're actually just winning for themselves.
- Princess Merida in Brave is set in an Arranged Marriage between three competing suitors. She, being a free-minded teenager, objects to the idea and sabotages the contest. In the end of the movie she manages to convince everyone that she isn't ready to marry anyone. The three suitors also revealed that they're only pressed by their fathers to marry.
- In Frozen Prince Hans tells Princess Anna, "As heir, Elsa was preferable, but no one was getting anywhere with her, but you were willing to marry me just like that!" Elsa herself tells her sister that she can leave if she can't live like this.
- The Enchanted Forest Chronicles opens with Princess Cimorene seeking a way out of the marriage her parents arranged for her to the prince of a neighboring kingdom, who was a handsome twit. This decision sparks the plot of the entire series.
- Fiona Coyne from Degrassi is the gorgeous daughter of a wealthy foreign diplomat. She has no desire to interact with her peers, least of all the guys who keep flirting with her.
- In Greek Mythology, Atalanta was a princess who took an oath of virginity to the goddess Artemis. There are several myths about her, some of which contradict each other, but all agree that she was a great hunter who could hold her own among male heroes.
- In Classical Mythology both Artemis and Athena are virgin daughters of Zeus. However no one dreams of trying to marry them (being matched to Athena sounds kinda cool though!).
- In Twisted: The Untold Story of a Royal Vizier, the Princess's habit of rejecting suitors by siccing Bengal tigers on them results in some serious political consequences. It also leads to a fair amount of confusion amongst his men regarding what happened.