Many superpowers exist within many classes. There are elementals, shapeshifters, time/space manipulators, and many more. One class of powers, however, is unique. This class is only of any value or even meaning in the presence of people with more concrete powers. This is the power over powers, a range of abilities that impact external forces without any ability to use them on one's own. These powers separate from standard supernatural powers in the fact that they have absolutely no meaning on their own or in a world where people with power don't exist, but in the presence of a battle that calls upon powers, they can be a real game-changer. In fact, many of these are in danger of being Story Breaker Powers unless used with extreme care. Compare Meta Power-Up, Magic Enhancement and Status Buff. See also Antagonist Abilities, which this usually is.
Types of meta-powers:
- Power Catalyst: This power triggers changes in individuals' abilities, sometimes awakening latent powers in someone, or enhancing existing powers, or possibly controlling and/or suppressing them.
- Super Empowering: Unlike the other powers, which depend on the existence of people with other powers or potential, this power allows an individual to create totally new powers in others.
- Power Copying : This power allows a person to actually claim another's powers as their own by copying them.
- Cannibalism Superpower: A person can copy their enemy's powers by eating them.
- Ditto Fighter: A fighting game character can copy their opponent's moveset (among other things).
- Power Parasite: This power allows a person to claim another's powers by stealing them, which can depower the victim either temporarily or permanently.
- Powers as Programs: Superpowers can be removed, transferred, and switched around from one individual to another.
- Variant Power Copying: Imperfectly duplicating another's powers in a similar yet different from.
- Victor Gains Loser's Powers: Gaining the powers of a defeated enemy after a fight.
- Power Lure: This slightly more obscure ability creates an uncontrollable lure for those with powers. If a person possesses the right power, he/she becomes inexplicably drawn to people with this power. May sometimes be connected to powers that directly impact the people who succumb to the temptation.
- Power Nullifier: This is, quite simply, the ability to temporarily or permanently cancel or erase powers. Frequently, this requires some degree of proximity, from a varied range to actual physical contact; but once conditions are met, all powers good and bad alike are rendered nonexistent, at least as long as the conditions remain.
- Anti-Magic: If the power being nullified happens to be magical in nature.
Unique variations include:Please only add specific examples if they don't fit into any of the common sub-tropes listed above. Anime and Manga
- For some time in Iris Zero, it's believed in universe that our protagonist's Iris power is to identify other people's Iris powers at a glance. Subverted in that he's actually the titular Iris Zero, i.e the 1% of the world who lacked Iris powers; he's just good at analyzing people.
- In Misfits, Seth is a "power dealer", whose power is to permanently remove another person's power but to then be able to confer it on one other person. He can store them indefinitely (and not just one at a time) but not use them himself.
- Azure Striker Gunvolt: Joule's ability, "The Muse", primarily is used to enhance other Adept's powers through Magic Music. If her special skill "Anthem" activates on Gunvolt (i.e you), he can use his lightning powers without limits.
- Warcraft III: Brilliance Aura increases mana regeneration in nearby friendly units.
- Golden Sun: Djinn are the basis for the game's Class System, switching them around gives new classes and abilities, while stacking them in the right proportions increases stats, class rank and spell power.
- Dawn of War: Joining a Farseer to a Seer Council reduces the cooldown for her abilities the more Seers are present.
- Blaz Blue Remix Heart: because Mai Natsume unwittingly absorbed the power of the Azure and it reacted with the power of the mysterious "grimoire" she absorbed, she herself has become a grimoire that can copy abilities from one person and then put it to another, but cannot use them herself.
- In Worm, one of the classifications the PRT uses for parahuman abilities is "Trump", referring to powers which either affect or are affected by the abilities of others.
- Xiaolin Showdown: The Reversing Mirror shen gong wu has the power to cause another shen gong wu to do the opposite of its normal effect.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.