After a fight with a spouse or other emotional squabble, people do different things some drink. Others eat, usually while lamenting about who or what is bothering them.
Compare Heartbreak and Ice Cream
, Comfort Food
and the alcoholic equivalent Drowning My Sorrows
, many of these characters experience Weight Woe
due to this.
Needs More Examples
, Needs a Better Title
, Description Needs Help
Anime & Manga
Live Action Film
- Hidamari Sketch after having a minor squabble with Sae. Hiro goes on a binge eating tons of food from cake and donuts to curry always with a "><" on her face and constantly saying things "Stupid Sae".... Les Yay? of course not
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica Kyouko goes off on a binge after she lost an argument with Sayaka.
- Usagi tends to do this in the anime of Sailor Moon usually after fights with Mamoru. Not so much in the manga.
- Fresh Precure: After realizing that Miki already has a boyfriend and his hundredth defeat in attempting to ask her out, Yuuki goes on a binge of donuts while crying. As he puts it to the clerk "If it's gonna be like that, I'll just stuff my face. Old man, give'em to me nonstop!".
- A lot of people suffer from this as an outlet for emotional distress, the equivalent for other people that is smoking and or drinking.
- In clinical terms, frequent use of this behavior as a coping mechanism can be called Binge Eating Disorder or Bulimia Nervosa. Frequent overeating can also satisfy the self-destructive criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder.