Fan Preferred Adaptation YKTTW Discussion
|Fan Preferred Adaptation|
A certain adaptation is preferred over the original, or others.Needs Examples Description Needs Help Motion To Discard
A YMMV trope. Sometimes adaptations become more popular than the source. Hardcore fans have mixed reactions but sometimes the fanbase just prefers the anime. Creator-Preferred Adaptation is when it's the creator of the series prefers an adaptation to the source.
Examples:Anime & Manga
- Pokémon Special is without a doubt the most popular Pokémon manga, even in Japan, even though there have been over 40.
- The Pokémon anime is arguably more popular than the games in the mainstream.
- The first Gunslinger Girl anime is largely preferred by fans. The second anime gets a lot of hate for the new art style, a lighter tone, and other changes.
- The Bunny Drop manga is hated by most fans for the timeskip where the MC and his adopted daughter end up getting together. Even adaptations ignore the timeskip, instead focusing on the elementary school days.
- This happens a lot with yonkoma series like Lucky Star or Azumanga Daioh, especially in the West. Adaptation Expansion is typically the reason.
- The Axis Powers Hetalia anime is more popular than the yonkama-type manga.
- The Higurashi no Naku Koro ni manga stays much closer to the visual novel's than the anime, is more gorey, and has overall better style quality (is known for being Off Model]]).
- Originally the Fullmetal Alchemist anime was seen as better than the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, at least outside Japan, but ever since Brotherhood the fanbase has been torn on this. Brotherhood tends to be more popular than the manga, even though most fans haven't forgotten the manga exists.