Crowd Carry YKTTW Discussion
A character is picked up by a crowd and carried.
Maybe the crowd is having a lot of fun and so decide to pass someone around on their hands or shoulders. Maybe they're cheering for him/her. Whatever reason, this is the trope in which a crowd picks someone up and carries him/her on top of them.This is also known as crowd surfing. May actually be a Subverted Trope if the crowd just merely carries the character then drops him to the ground in anger.Do not confuse with Crowd Hockey. Comic Books
- A one-page Archie Comics story had this happen to Archie and Jughead, even in spite of their error in losing a baseball game. The crowd then carries them to the city dump...
- Alan Mayberry gets carried by the rock concert crowd onto the stage next to Josie in Josie and the Pussycats. Being a comedy movie, the crowd drops him at one point, but they pick him up and resume the process.
- Subverted in School of Rock when Dewey attempts a stage dive and falls. Played straight later when he does the same thing after the School of Rock plays, and the crowd catches him.
- Happens in the film version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire during the Yule Ball when Professor Flitwick falls onto the crowd of dancing students. They start passing him around.
- In the climax of Crocodile Dundee Croc & Sue are separated by a packed New York subway crowd and he gets lifted above the crowd so they can carefully walk towards each other Meadow Run style.
- Whenever the Gryffindors win in Harry Potter, this trope occurs to their MVP.
- In the third season finale of Game of Thrones, Daenerys is carried this way by the former slaves of Yunkai.
- One episode of 1000 Ways to Die features a boy band leader who tries to invoke this trope by leaping into the audience. Subverted when no one catches him
- In Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School, Shaggy and Scooby are carried by the Grimwood girls, in celebration of winning the big volleyball match against the Calloway cadets.
- Subverted in the Spongebob Squarepants episode "The Chaperone" where Spongebob and Pearl were picked up by the prom attendees whilst in the midst of doing a dance called the Sponge, then dropped off out the door in anger. One attendee even says in Heffer's voice, "Go wreck someone else's prom, will ya?!?"
- Also from Spongebob, the 'Pretty Patties' episode has Spongebob exchange his patty stand for the Krusty Krab. As he goes catatonic with joy, Mr. Krabs throws him to the crowd, which carries him to the restaurant.
- Played straight in Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame when the French crowd carries Esmeralda off the stage and away from Frollo's minions. Subverted hilariously when the minions attempt this, and the crowd parts to allow the mooks to bellyflop onto the cobblestones.
- Cartoon Network Groovies Jabberjaw. After the female member of his musical group is kidnapped from a concert, Jabberjaw jumps onto the crowd and surfs along after her. Watch it here.