How do you show that your pet is special? When you want to go above and beyond a normal pet name, a formal title is the easiest way to add some sophistication. He's not just Fluffernutter, he's Mister
Fluffernutter! You can usually expect such a pet to be a little lap dog or a pampered kitty.
Often overlaps with Mister Muffykins
. The Right-Hand Cat
is often a Formally Named Pet
Anime & Manga
- In this ad for Petsmart a man has an unseen pet named Mr. Barkey von Schnauzer.
Live Action TV
- Harry Potter: Filch has a pet cat, Mrs Norris.
- In the Discworld book Making Money, Topsy Lavish's dog and eventual chairman of the bank is named Mr Fusspot.
- Peter S. Beagle's Tamsin features a cat simply named Mister Cat.
- From T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (and thus also from Cats), the magical Mr. Mistoffelees (the only one of all the cats in the book/musical to be named that way).
- Harry Dresden's cat is named simply Mister.
- Pippi Longstocking has her little monkey, Mr Nilsson.
Brittany on Glee
has a cat named Mr. Tubbington.
- Bioshock. Little Sisters call their pet Big Daddy "Mr. Bubbles".
- Mr. Scruffy, Lord Shojo's cat in The Order of the Stick.
- Sluggy Freelance: After surviving a horrible explosion, Bun-Bun temporarily loses his memory and is adopted by a family that renames him Mr. Fuzbutt.
- This strip◊ from Eerie Cuties mentions an ancient vampire queen who had a kitty named Mr. Boodles.
- The Monarch keeps the taxidermied corpse of his old cat, Mister Mostly Mittens, in his dining room. Apparently, it had three white paws and one not-white paw (hence "mostly").
- Mr Cool from Happy Days the Saturday Morning Cartoon
- Ms Lion from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
- Mr Cat from Kid vs. Kat
- In Dan Vs.. "The Animal Shelter," Dan takes home a kitten and names it Mr. Mumbles.
- Mr. Kitty, Eric Cartman's pet cat from South Park
- Mr. Twitches, Lizzie's pet cat from Tinkerbell and The Great Fairy Rescue
- Mr. Pettibone, Goofy's pet cat in Mickey Mouseworks, House of Mouse, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
- Mr. Whiskers, the rabbit from Brandy & Mr. Whiskers (although not a pet).
- Mr. Puffy Fluffy from Spongebob Squarepants.
- In one episode of Phineas and Ferb, Doofenshmirtz took in a cat and named it Mr. Fluffypants, after his uncle Fluffypants.
- Candace had a bunny for one episode that she called Mr. Cutie Patootie. Turned out he was an enemy agent trying to find Perry's lair.
- Would Mr. Snuffleupagus from Sesame Street count, do you all think? He's not a pet, and after his family showed up he was renamed into Aloysius Snuffleupagus, "Snuffy" to his friends.
- Can't we expand this to official titles so that it includes Chairman Meow?
- Literature: Noboru Wataya from The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is named after the protagonist's brother in law.
- Random Surfer asks: what if anything does "Noboru Wataya" mean? If it's not "Mr. Smith" or some such, I don't think it counts.
- True Grit: The cat's name is General Sterling Price, after the American Civil War general of the same name.