Kirk Versus Picard
The captain of the original Starship Enterprise getting compared to the captain of the Enterprise D.
The only question I
Ever thought was hard
Was do I like Kirk
Or do I like PicardOne of the most prevalent arguments in the Star Trek fandom is whether James T. Kirk of Star Trek: The Original Series or Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek: The Next Generation is the better captain. This can range from just comparing the two characters alone, to a Fandom Rivalry about those two entire series, but the arguments persist, and in some cases can cause Flame Wars to rival the Joel or Mike rivalry. Oh, and of course some fans might Take a Third Option with the captains of the other shows, just further fanning the fanboy flames. A Sub-Trope of Cool vs. Awesome.
-- "Weird Al" Yankovic "White and Nerdy"
References To This:
- In an episode of The Simpsons, some nerds from college were on an early internet chat room, mocking the nerds on the other end for sending them reasons why Picard is better.
- A segment in Wizard Magazine about characters versus each other featured Kirk and Picard fighting. Picard won by using the holodeck to create an illusion of Playboy Bunnies to distract Kirk.
- Mentioned in the "Weird Al" Yankovic song "White and Nerdy".
- The Nostalgia Chick had a video of Lidsay and Nella arguing over this.
- While SF Debris doesn't really take sides (Memetic Badass jokes aside), he noted that Star Trek: Generations did make Kirk look better.
- A CollegeHumor video showed that religious people are worse than nerds, because nerds would never get in a crusade over Kirk versus Picard.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.