The only question I
Ever thought was hard
Was do I like Kirk
One of the most prevalent arguments in the Star Trek
fandom is whether James T. Kirk of Star Trek: The Original Series
or Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek: The Next Generation
is the better captain.
This can range from just comparing the two characters alone, to a Fandom Rivalry
about those two entire series, but the arguments persist, and in some cases can cause Flame Wars
to rival the Joel or Mike
Oh, and of course some fans might Take a Third Option
with the captains of the other shows, just further fanning the fanboy flames.
of Cool Versus Awesome
References To This:
- In an episode of The Simpsons, some nerds from college were on an early internet chat room, mocking the nerds on the other end for sending them reasons why Picard is better.
- A segment in Wizard Magazine about characters versus each other featured Kirk and Picard fighting. Picard won by using the holodeck to create an illusion of Playboy Bunnies to distract Kirk.
- Mentioned in the "Weird Al" Yankovic song "White and Nerdy".
- The Nostalgia Chick had a video of Lidsay and Nella arguing over this.
- While SF Debris doesn't really take sides (Memetic Badass jokes aside), he noted that Star Trek: Generations did make Kirk look better.
- A College Humor video showed that religious people are worse than nerds, because nerds would never get in a crusade over Kirk versus Picard.