A character hides in a trash can or dumpster, often suffering the consequences.
A trash can may be smell and full of trash, but it's usually a good hideout in a pinch. Some characters on the lam take note of this, going inside a trash can or dumpster and hiding out. This often results in trash being dumped on them, or worse- being tossed in the dump. If the character isn't hiding but was put in garbage out of spite, see Stuffed Into A Trash Can.
- Used at least twice in ''Suske en Wiske:
- In "De Gouden Locomotief", Lambik has bought an original cowboy hat and wants to surprise Sidonia, so he hides in the trashcan in the backyarsd and tells Wiske to send Sidonia outside. Sidonia is peeling potatoes at the time, so she dumps the peels in the trashcan without even noticing Lambik is inside.
- In "Tedere Tronica", the same thing happens to Jerom when he's hiding in a trash can to keep an eye on Professor Barabas (who is being targeted by criminals because of a his latest invention).
- Foxtrot: Jason pulls a prank on Paige and hides in a full trashcan, figuring she won't look for him in there. When Peter finds him, he explains his logic, leading to Peter later asking Paige "Isn't it great the way our brother punishes himself for us?".
- In Syngenesophobia, in chapter 23, Lola is forced to hide in a trash can to avoid Lincoln seeing her.
- In Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, Rodrick hides in a dumpster while he waits for Greg to sneak him into the club. He gets trash dumped on him when Greg takes too long and is not amused.
- Star Wars
- A New Hope. When Imperial troops cut off their escape route, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo and Chewbacca are stuck shooting it out in the Death Star's cell bay. Leia takes a blaster from Luke, and obliterates a waste grate. "Into the garbage chute, flyboy." This move gets the party out of harm's way for a while. Then the Imperials start the trash compactor. Uh-oh.
- The Empire Strikes Back. The Millenium Falcon had been hiding from capture by clinging to the blindside of an Imperial cruiser's bridge section. When the Imperial cruiser dumps its garbage before going to lightspeed, Captain Solo releases the landing claw, and poses as one more hunk of junk. The cruiser departs, none the wiser.
- The Neverending Story. Near the beginning of the film, Bastian is stuffed into a dumpster by three school bullies chasing him. At the end of the film, he rides on Falcor and chases the bullies, forcing them to seek shelter in the same dumpster.
- M*A*S*H. In the episode "Rally 'Round the Flagg Boys", Colonel Flagg tries to persuade Charles into spying on Hawkeye for him to dig up proof that he's a Communist sympathizer. At one point Flagg takes cover in a garbage can, just before a corpsman leaves the mess tent and empties his tray of food into it.
- The not-so-Intrepid Reporter Miranda in Full Throttle hides in a dumpster to escape from Ripburger's goons. Ben leaves her there after getting the evidence of Corley's murder from her, so we never learn what happens to her later.
- Resident Evil 4: Leon can tell Ashley to hide in a dumpster while he takes out the zombies.
- Arthur. In the episode "D.W. Blows the Whistle", Arthur and his friends stake out D.W., hoping to catch her in the act of doing something unsafe, so they can call her out on it, after she had been doing the same to them, much to their annoyance; Arthur himself is hiding in a trashcan as D.W. walks by, finds an ice cream cone dropped on the sidewalk, and ultimately drops it in the trashcan, before going on her way.
- Hey Arnold!. In the episode "Suspended", Harold finds that his suspension isn't fun like he had hoped, and in both boredom and desperation, tries to sneak back into school, at one point, hiding in a dumpster in the playground, only to have a janitor toss a barrel of spoiled, melted cheese into it.
- Recess. In the episode "Parent's Night", the gang spies on Spinelli at her house to try to get an idea of what her parents are actually like; Spinelli takes out the garbage for the evening, only to discover Mikey hiding in the garbage can, much to her aggravation.
- There was a Darwin Award winner who tried to escape prison by hiding in the trash bags, unfortunately he ended up in the trash compactor
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.