Feeling blue? Don't! Look, there's a bluebird perched there!
Perhaps it's because they're a shade of Heavenly Blue
, but bluebirds are symbols of happiness -- and this indeed, covers several entirely different species of songbirds, as long as they have blue feathers.
A common plot is to go on The Quest
for one only to return home empty-handed and find it was already there
. (Outlining the Aesop
that home is where you will find happiness
is optional.) Besides this MacGuffin
status, they can also be local color, but because of the symbolism, they are seldom the Loyal Animal Companion
Film -- Animated
Film -- Live Action
- Parodied in Hogfather, when the Cheerful Fairy manifests with the Blue Bird of Happiness on her shoulder. It's a blue chicken.
- In the book and movie of K-PAX, prot exhorts his fellow asylum inmates to find the "blue bird of happiness," and they eventually glimpse a literal one.
- Klinger from M*A*S*H once went for it in Flowery Insults: "May the Bluebird of Happiness leave a surprise in your orange juice!"
- The vocaloid song "Desert Bluebird" by mothy is about two sibling going to search for a bluebird that can grant any wish, in a world After the End, destroyed by (apparently) a nuclear war, As it turns out they DO find the bluebird but it was in an old nuclear base, the radiation makes the older sister die, and the younger brother wishes to the bird to revive her, it does, and then dissapears the song end with the sibling saying that they should rebuild the world with their own hands
- There was a hit song in 1934 called "The Bluebird of Happiness" which, according to The Other Wiki, is probably the origin of the American phrase (though the concept is much older in Europe).
- The lyrics of the They Might Be Giants song "Birdhouse in Your Soul", by John Linnell, include the phrase "blue bird of friendliness."
- The Far Side had one strip where a man is abandoned by the Bluebird of Happiness, and is instead visited by the Chicken of Despair.
- There was a Pearls Before Swine Sunday comic where Pig receives a visit from the Bluebird of Happiness, which makes Pig really happy since he never received a visit from such a bird. Subverted afterwards, when it turns out that the Bluebird actually had the wrong address, because he held the directions upside-down, and was really looking for Joseph C. Skalabonsky, so he flies away, leaving Pig sad and alone once again.
- There's a level with a "red bird of happiness" in Super Mario Sunshine.
- * Tokimeki Memorial 2 has, among its numerous Image Songs, one called "Aoi Tori" (Blue Bird). It's a Kaori Yae image song, in which the blue bird is the symbol of the main protagonist, who came into Kaori's wounded heart, telling her she's not alone, and bringing her happiness and love.
- The Earthbound theme song "Pollyanna" has the following verse:
I believe there'll come a day
Maybe it will be tomorrow.
When the blue bird flies away
All we have to do is follow (it).
I believe a dream can still come true,
Why shouldn't I believe the same in you?