Power High YKTTW Discussion
Superpowers make you feel good (literally).
Power feels good... And for some that is true in a very literally sense. When a character either gains superpowers( often coupled with Powers as Programs) or becomes more powerful they will feel pleasure sometimes expressed in a similar way to an orgasm. Often used as means of Getting Crap Past the Radar. The pleasure this power gives is usually expressed to phrases like "Yes!, yes! yes!", "I can feel the power surging through my veins", "This feels so good" or similar, often in a very explicit way. What ever the case it is made clear that the person is really enjoying the please his/her new powers gives. A probable side effect of this is that the person in question will have an addiction similar to drugs making "superpowers" similar to a G-Rated Drug. This trope is mostly associated with villain characters. As they are the most likely to express pleasure when gaining power as opposed to heroic characters that are more likely expected not to enjoy their powers. See also Evil Feels Good, Good Feels Good, and Power Is Sexy.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Inverted in Princess Tutu. Rue actually feels pain when she transforms.
- In Puella Magi Kazumi Magica Ahiri after becoming YUURI says "haha this is great!... this powers are the best". All of this while pulling her tongue out of her mouth and looking very very pleased in a suggestive way. as it can be seen here.
- Along with Yuuri from Kazumi Magica, Kazumi has a moment of this in chapter 1 in her first battle.
- The reason all modern eponymous warriors from Claymore are exclusively female is because release of yoki (demonic energy that powers them) is this to men. To be even exacter, male Claymores (produced long ago) experienced the power-up as sexual pleasure and Awakened almost immediately.
- Mecha pilots in Taiyou No Tsubasa react in a very orgasmic way when their mechs combine. The mechs gain a lot of power from the resulting Mind Meld, but the moaning and facial expressions are probably just there for fanservice.
- In Dragonball Z: Piccolo's infamous "Yes! Yes! I feel great! I can do this!" moment when he fuses with Nail. Nail even teases him about it in in The Abridged Series
- In Pirates of the Caribbean:At World's End. When Tia Dalma is released from her human form and regains her godly powers becoming calypso she makes a familiar expression that makes her enjoyment very evident.This can be seen here
- In Iron Man 2,when Tony Stark inserts the new element into his arc-reactor, he gets a very sudden high.
- An inversion is evidenced in the first X-Men movie.
Rogue: "Does it hurt when they come out?"
Wolverine: "Every time."
- In Spiderman 3. When peter gets the symbiote he states that "I feel wow... this feels good!"This can be seen here.
- In Buffy the Vampire Slayer, when Willow started to OD on witchcraft it was explicitly analogous to being high on drugs.
- In the Wheel of Time, the One Power is so addictive that most channelers who lose the ability to channel die of despair within a year or two, The True Power, the Power supplied by the Dark One to his favoured minions is even more addictive.
- Everworld: Senna claims using magic "...filled me up, rushed through me, the sensation of power more erotic than any fantasy, more exciting. The power, I loved it so, it filled me and fulfilled me. It was mind, it was body, it was sex and money and power and revenge and triumph all rolled into one."
- "Rising Force" by Yngwie Malmsteen.
- In Forgotten Realms, some elves had a peculiar reaction on raising a mythal (city-scale spell field): magic users all over the area spontaneously levitate and space out. Elminster in Myth Drannor had a scene when one elven gardener found his noble lady and her handmaiden floating naked over the basin, staring into nowhere and "moaning a chant". He had no options but to shake his head and conclude that "pleasure spells were certainly becoming powerful things these days". Also, there were mentions of elven wizards who much later became mythal proponents after hearing about this effect.
- Amber Diceless Role-Playing. In the section on the character Merlin, it says that the magical powers possessed by Amberites make the user feel so good that they can become addictive.
- Juri from Street Fighter IV after gaining ki based powers from the fen shui engine she proclaims: "mmm I like it. I can feel waves of ki energy surging through my whole body" in a very suggestive way. This can be seen here
- In Ultimate Spiderman, when venom gains absolute control of his symbiotic suit he screams " Yes!,Yes!, Yes! now I have TOTAL absolute control!. This can be seen in this video
- Girl Genius, when the new Heterodyne is subjected to the effect of Dyne water plus electroshock for the first time and feels godlike. Later the Castle implies it's a normal reaction:
Agatha: I believe another forty-five point three seconds, and I would have exploded or something. [...] Oh, yeah... I have got to try that again!
- In The Lazer Collection:
- Dr. Octogonapus: "Feel the power, Randal! Let it seep up your thighs and penetrate your body! Let it penetrate you, Randal!"Randal: "It feels good!"Dr. Octogonapus: "Now release! Let it build up and release!"Randal: "Hnnn… BLAAAAH!!"
- In Disney's Aladin Jafar wishes to become a genie. His wish is fulfilled and while gaining "phenomenal cosmic powers" he proclaims "The power!, the absolute power!, the universe is mine to command to control!" (This scene can be seen here). His enjoyment falls short however thanks to Aladin's Batman Gambit.
- She-Hulk in the old 90's Hulk cartoon It seemsshe really likes transforming, Nudge Nudge.
- In Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, Harvey, who gets his power from sunlight, discovers that suntan lotion can provide the same effect. He quickly becomes addicted to the rush, and starts spending all his money on lotion, until his friends are forced to stage an intervention.
- In The Mask animated series . A gypsy woman steals the power of the mask. She screams yes yes yes! while she does