Final title: Third Person Flashback
- Acceptable breaks from reality
- Omnipresent Tropes
- other index ideas?
- especially averted, subverted and strange ones.
Any quote or picture ideas?
Sometimes as person recalls an event, we get to see what happened then... but wait why is this person's memories showing the person who remembered it? For example, if Bob remembered dating Alice, and we see in his memories: Alice at table, waiting... then Bob appears late and in such a messy state! If it's Bob's memory, we should be seeing it though his eyes. Usually an Acceptable break from reality as its usually hard to convey events via someones viewpoint, and sometimes because the stage cannot be recreated with the remembering character's viewpoint if it was filmed much earlier. Anything transmitted through an Exposition Beam is likely to be this. As this is very common, only list examples that is a subversion or averted. Some of some very odd examples may be added like Farscape example.
- In an episode of the anime School Rumble, Yakumo has a flashback/dream to when she was a little kid that is from the first person perspective. Up to and including when the camera shakes up and down to indicate her nodding her head.
- Possible aversion: In Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, we see the movie as a 3rd person memory of the protagonists dreams. In real life he has no memory of his romantic rival's face because he didn't see it, so even though we see it in 3rd person, no matter how he moves the guy he's always The Blank.
- Pulp Fiction's flashback to when Butch is given his father's watch, with Christopher Walken telling him the story, starts in first-person but then goes third.
- In Harry Potter (mostly Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince), Harry is often able to see things that Dumbledore couldn't possibly have in the Pensive.
- Farscape: As Bialar Crais was forced to recall events on the memory probing chair operated by Scorpius, the screen shows Caris snapping the commander's neck.
- In Babylon 5 Pilot show, this is notable averted when Kosh got poisoned and an telepath saw the events as seen from Kosh's eyes.
- Averted in all flashbacks in Silent Hill: Homecoming as flashbacks is in the first person.
- If you can understand this... theres an real example.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.