Digging a hole isn't as easy as it sounds. It takes a lot of hard work, and, you need specialized equipment for it. Even things that are really good at burrowing
still have limits (whether biological or mechanical) that prevent them from being perfect at digging holes.
In the world of fiction? Not so! Burrowing is insanely easy and anyone can do it. No need for high-tech equipment or specialized claws here.
This comes in two varieties-
: This is when a machine or animal that is clearly not
built for digging is somehow able to burrow as well as any underground-dwelling animal or machine.
: This is when a machine or animal that is created/evolved to be good at burrowing has digging skills that are impossible. They can dig through solid rock, withstand intense pressure and heat, and can even dig impossibly large and complex tunnels in mere hours.
Compare Fast Tunnelling
. May overlap with Tunnel King
Examples of Type 1-
- King Ghidorah from Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack was able to burrow his way to the surface from underground despite being a three-headed dragon with huge wings that's more suited for flight than underground travel.
- Gorosaurus is a kaiju that pretty much looks like a giant Tyrannosaurus rex (IE: Large head, large body and tail, long hind legs, tiny yet powerful front limbs). He's seen emerging from underground in Destroy All Monsters.
- Daffy Duck is sometimes shown burrowing underground with Bugs. He's somehow able to use his wings/hands to dig as efficiently as Bugs does.
Examples of type 2-
Needs More Examples
- Bugs Bunny. While he is a rabbit, and rabbits are good at burrowing, he is able to burrow faster and further than any real life bunny. Case in point, he's able to burrow across entire continents (even when there's an ocean in the way).
- Mulch Diggums in the Artemis Fowl series.
- Zilla from the 1998 remake of Godzilla is able to dig its way under New York city and hide without the citizens even knowing despite being a giant monster. It's even capable of digging straight up through skyscrapers in order to attack helicopters.
- Baragon in the games Godzilla: Save The Earth and Godzilla: Unleashed is able to burrow underground within seconds despite being a giant prehistoric reptile. Not only that, but, in Save The Earth, he's able to trigger a volcanic eruption with his burrowing skills alone.
- StarCraft Zerg units can burrow instantly into any type of terrain (including metal plating and rock), leave no visible trace of digging or disturbed ground, and some can launch long distance attacks from underground without any sort of visibility on what they're attacking to include distinguishing fried and foe. They can also hit hovering targets and fast, erratically moving targets with 100% accuracy.