- (After getting nowhere with the police after his World of Warcraft account was hacked) Sheldon: "Can you at least refer me to a rogue ex-cop?" Police Officer: "...What?" Sheldon: "You know, one who was drummed off the force because he refused to play by the rules and now hires himself out to impose his own brand of rough justice?" Police Officer: "...No." - The Big Bang Theory
- Taken operated under the idea that they had a small window of opportunity after Kimmie was kidnapped by a prostitution ring and she was lucky her father Bryan had all the skills necessary to track her down. Bryan does consult some friends in the Paris government for help, only to find some pushback in legal matters as well as some internal corruption.
- Burn Notice is all about how Michael has the skills needed for extra-legal help and because of being Burned that is about the only job he can get. A lot of the time a client is in a situation where they will face legal problems for taking a bribe or something similar if they go to the police, so often this involves getting the bad guy to do something illegal in front of the police so the client stays clean.
- The A-Team operated under this, as stated in their Opening Narration.
- The premise of Leverage, helping people who are normally outgunned or out financed against the bad guys.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.