We Used To Be Enemies YKTTW Discussion
|We Used To Be Enemies|
Two former enemies are now close allies.Already have? Better Name Up For Grabs
Piccolo: I'm here to help you.
Goku: Aren't we enemies?Enemy Mine, but long-term instead of short-term. May involve a Heel Race Turn.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Very common place in shonen animes (happens in Naruto to Gaara, in Yuyu Hakusho with Hiei, in Saint Seya with Ikki and so on) with their obsession with the whole Defeat Means Friendship trope.
- In The Last Avengers Story, set many years in the future, Reed Richards and Doctor Doom, former nemeses, now live together and play chess. Richards takes care of Doom, who has age-related dementia.
- The "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue of Legally Blonde reveals that the Academic Alpha Bitch rival became the main character's best friend after they've both been dumped by her ex.
- At the end of the Hand of Thrawn duology, the Empire signed a peace treaty with the New Republic, and the two were allies during subsequent conflicts such as the Yuuzhan Vong War in New Jedi Order. Though as Star Wars: Legacy comics reveal, it didn't last forever.
- Star Trek gives us the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire, at some point between Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- In Stargate SG-1, the Jaffa, previously the longtime mooks of the Goa'uld, pulled a Heel Race Turn and became allies of the Tau'ri. This alliance outlasted the series' final Big Bad, the Ori.
- In Dishonored, Piero is a rival with Anton Sokolov in both the game and the Back Story. Anton isn't really that attached to the villains' side and undergoes a Heel-Face Turn. He and Piero make friends when they meet face to face and eventually work together to cure the plague.
- The Star Trek example becomes a subversion in Star Trek Online, where the alliance between the Federation and Klingons has broken and the two have returned to being enemies.
- Pixar's first Toy Story has Sheriff Woody slugging it out with Buzz Lightyear at the Dinoco station. These two end up best buds by the end of the film.
- Among the things complicating the Germans' Schlieffen Plan in World War I was the fact that it was partly predicated on the assumption that the Brits wouldn't help their traditional rivals the French. This changed during the lead-up to the war.
- The United States of America and the United Kingdom in Real Life, as well as the nations of NATO, most of whom have fought multiple wars with each other in the past.