In olden days a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking...Values Dissonance that a show can portray, and thus works best for a quick gag. A subtrope of Fully-Clothed Nudity and Our Nudity Is Different. See Also: Foot Focus, or Changed My Jumper for when this comes into play with time travelers.
- Les Visiteurs. In a medieval version of this trope, the king considers his mistress lifting her dress past her ankles to be incredibly risque.
- Because Bobby Hayes from R.I.P.D. was from The Wild West, his favorite thing to ogle at on a woman is her ankles.
- Making Money. Professor Feedle has been dead for several centuries but is still as randy as he was when alive. So when Moist makes a deal with him to let him haunt a strip club, he asks if it's "smutty" and if the women show their ankles.
- In Robert A. Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long mentions when he travels back in time to 1917 that he is surprised at the thrill it gives him to see a woman's ankle when it happens to get exposed. He also mentions that he is careful not to let anyone catch him looking.
- This captioned picture plays with an internet meme. - Weblinks Are Not Examples
- The CollegeHumor page on "If the Internet Always Existed" has bare ankles on the 1900 version of YouTube.
- In the Nostalgia Chick's review of Kate and Leopold, she lists "can't show your ankles" as one of the problems with Leopold's time period.
- The Simpsons had an episode set in the 1800s, where the buy-your-photo section of a log flume ride has to deal with a shot of a lady "flashing her private parts". It's her ankle, and the man running the shop claims he'll take care of it before shiftily stowing it in his pocket as if it were porn.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.