Spamming blade/claw attacks, often at superhuman speeds.
Launching in 36 hours
Redirects: Split-Second Blade Spam, Simultaneous Blade Spam, SlashathonA character attacks with a rapid series of slashes or stabs, either with a bladed weapon or with natural claws. Taking the speed part Up to Eleven and into outright Super Speed territory results in the following two subtypes:
- Split-Second Blade Spam: Where the attacks are pseudo-simultaneous - the observer cannot tell that there are multiple slashes being executed.
- Simultaneous Blade Spam: Superficially the same as Split-Second Blade Spam from the observer's POV, but explicitly being truly simultaneous.
Standard Blade Spam
- The Final Fantasy series give us Cloud Strife's Omnislash and Squall Leonhart's Renzokuken (specifically, the Lionheart Limit Break).
- A common Special Attack / Desperation Attack among sword/claw-wielding Fighting Game characters.
- This is a staple in RPGs, usually part of Dual Wielding and dubbed "Flurry". Examples to be found in Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age.
- This is the default mode of attack for high-level Weapon Masters (a warrior Prestige Class kit) in Dungeons & Dragons. Able to fight equally good with both hands and using the attack/round tables of a Bare-Fisted Monk, a level 16 Weapons Master gets 6 strikes per round (about 10 seconds) with a single weapon, 12 when Dual Wielding, and you do not want to get in her way when she's buffed with Haste.
Split-Second Blade Spam
- The Kuzuryusen technique from Rurouni Kenshin, utilizing Hiten Mitsurugi-ryu's signature God-Speed to launch 8 slashes and one stab with such speed that the strikes appear to be simultaneous.
- Claymore has two techniques who are this, Windcutter (who double as a Iaijutsu Practitioner technique) and the Quicksword.
- Ginkaku Uneri from Katanagatari is an Iaijutsu Practitioner that can use his sword, Zantou Namakura, to strike five times a second.
- In BlazBlue, Taokaka can do this with her claws.
Simultaneous Blade Spam
- Two examples from the Fate/stay night franchise:
- Tsubame Gaeshi, signature technique of the 5th Grail War's Assassin; three slashes whose combined angles of attack explicitly block off any attempt at evasion. And Assassin gained it because he so relentlessly perserved in his countless attempts to devise a technique to kill a swallow while in flight, that reality basically gave in and granted him partial access to the "Second Magic", which is described as "multi-dimension refraction phenomenon".
- Nine Lives (Japanese gloss: "Shooting Hundred Heads"), a Noble Phantasm of the 5th Grail War's Berserker (a.k.a. Herakles); the actual NP itself, derived from Herakles' feat of defeating the many-headed, nigh-immortal Hydra with his bow and arrows, was never used by Berserker himself, but when Shirou in the Heaven's Feel route used Projection to adapt the NP for his own use, the resulting "Nine Lives Blade Works" was composed of eight simultaneous slashes from different directions in one instant, followed by a stab to the center, all done with Super Speed. And each strike was considered a lethal A-ranked blow to Black Berserker.
- A justified example in Sakuya Izayoi, who has the ability to stop time, and her main combat style involves throwing thousands of knifes to the enemy; she can combine both abilities to basicalli8 make an instant rain of blades on the enemy.
- In more recent iterations of The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII as well as Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Sephiroth seems to be able to strike his opponent several times with only a few tactically-placed slashes of his Masamune. In Kingdom Hearts II, he possesses a move called Flash, where he dashes past Sora; if you don't use the Reaction Command, Sora eats about 7-9 slashes. In Dissidia, his slashes inflict upwards of four blows at a time (his Octoslash, in particular, hits eight times in spite of Sephy only swinging five times).
- The Tojin (Battle Blade) attack in Yaiba can do this, but with etheral blades which distract the opponent.
- In Soul Eater, Mifune can do this with his "infinite sword style" moves. Not only can he trap his opponent by pinning them down with sme of his many swords but he can make each sword strike multiple times by making them vibrate.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable