- "Eros will have naked bodies;Friendship naked personalities. "
A character has the qualities of The Stoic, Emotionless Girl, Defrosting the Ice Queen, Tsundere, Stepford Smiler, Dandere, Kuudere etc. That is until they earn the friendship and trust of others. Turns out that their behavior was simply a facade and thanks to The Power of Friendship they feel comfortable being their true selves with their loved ones. For instance The Libby that is initially believed to be a Jerkass is revealed to be a Jerk with a Heart of Gold that only acted mean and snobbish in order to be accepted. To qualify, the difference needs to be either particularly dramatic and/or commented on in story and relevant to the plot or characterization.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- In Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Mami reveals her emotionally fragile side when she and Madoka become friends.
- Negi from Mahou Sensei Negima!. He acts very mature, stoic and formal around his students, but around his friends like Anya and Kotaro, he is more informal and childish.
- In one episode of Friends Monica gets introduced to Work!Chandler, who is a quite different person than regular Chandler.
- We always called this character "The Eddie Haskell" growing up. Y'know...The kid who was a troublemaking Jerkass when the parents weren't around, but as soon as the adults showed up, it was all, "Why, hello there, Mr. Cleaver! Mrs. Cleaver! My, what a lovely day we're having!"
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Fluttershy could barely say her name before becoming friends with Twilight Sparkle. When they became friends, she acted more confident with her. She has even shown a more assertive side of herself when she is with friends.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.