Alternative Title(s): Tights With A Skirt, Tights With A Skirt Is Proper, It Is Proper To Wear Tights With A SkirtSo, you have a female character, and you want her to appear prim and proper, while still being feminine and fitting in with all of your other female characters. It would usually (with few exceptions) be improper for her to wear pants, but it would be difficult to have her fit in full dresses when all of your other female characters are wearing short, suggestive skirts. The solution is simple - have her wear tights (divided by a common language here - British tights are American pantyhose) with a skirt. The skirt allows her to fit in with her fellow girls, but the tights ensure that she remains proper and well-covered. It retains that feminine quality, yet prevents the lady from in any way seeming risque. This style of dress is particularly common in Anime with The Ojou and Yamato Nadeshiko. Compare with Skirt over Slacks, which occurs when pants of some description are added to an already modest skirt in order to convey shyness or tomboyishness, and with Modesty Shorts, which ensures modesty for the Action Girl who wears a short skirt. Contrasts with Zettai Ryouiki, which are usually employed to instead enhance the fanservice of the outfit, upping the intended sexiness, and with Tights Under Shorts, which incorporates something more boyish than a skirt but is nevertheless used more frequently on girls than on boys. Note that when it comes to children, and especially school uniforms (except where School Uniforms Are the New Black), this is so standard that no examples need to be given.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Homura Akemi wears this with her outfits, including her Magical Girl uniform, in Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
- The Sailor Senshi wear this with their costumes in Sailor Moon; of course, given the color of the tights it's actually quite hard to tell for the untrained viewer...
- Sakura Kinomoto in Card Captor Sakura gets this with most of her CardCaptor outfits if they don't involve Zettai Ryouiki. Her friend Tomoyo does this with a few of her own outfits as well.
- The female pilots wear the leotard variation with their combat attire in Dangaioh.
- Mikuru Asahina wears this during the winter months in Suzumiya Haruhi (as seen in Disappearance with her school uniform).
- Worn by Miyuki in Lucky Star, particularly with her school uniform.
- Yui from K-On! wears this with her skirt.
- Sarah Adiemus from School Rumble is the only girl in the series who wears tights with her school skirt.
- Satoko in Higurashi: When They Cry.
- Rare male example: Jun Watarase from Happiness!, particularly with his Sailor Fuku.
- Mariya Shidou from Maria†Holic wears black tights with his uniform and portrays himself publicly as one of the nicer girls. However, when he and Kanako are alone together, his sadistic side rears its ugly head.
- Hell, there are some traps out there who have done this besides the two listed above, including, at times, Hideyoshi Kinoshita.
- Mitsuuru Takahashi from Pretty Cure Heavy Metal is a rare male example at times. Sakura Cobain also wears white tights under her school uniform during the colder months (of course, since this is Isuten Junior High we're talking about, the same outfit also includes a black leather jacket, possibly the only way to make tights look any cooler--other than using shorts instead, of course).
- Another male example is Haru Nagato, the male maiden from the upcoming Pretty Cure Strange Happenings. Yumi's thigh-high red stockings go so high they barely rise above the lower edge of her uniform's crinoline skirt, leading some to mistake what she's wearing for tights. Also, every Cure that doesn't wear Tights Under Shorts wears this in Cure form, and Cure Necro herself sports Tights Under Modesty Shorts.
- Super Cure Romance from Pretty Cure Hollywood Stars would be another male example, but in Cure and Super Cure form is actually biologically female.
- Done by Haruki Fukuda at several points with his school uniform in a (currently work-in-progress) screenplay for a (theoretical) Live-Action Adaptation of Pretty Cure Mirai ~ Spark!. In his case, though, instead of a skirt or dress, he does this with a tunic, which is part of the unisex uniform worn by the Royals of Mirai Academy. As a matter of fact, this trope is inverted, as while he's the one wearing tights, it's his sister Yasu who's the proper British lady. She just never bothers to dress like one in any of her appearances.
- Yukiko from Persona 4 is the poster child for this.
- Also worn by Fuuka in Persona 3.
- The soldier-like Weiß wears this outfit in Arcana Heart 3.
- Yurika Kirishima, the resident Ojou of Project Justice, wears white pantyhose with her dress.
- Daphne Blake's regular outfit from the various incarnations of Scooby-Doo incorporates this. Of course, then it gets played for Fanservice in the Live-Action Adaptation.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.