The moderators are watching this one. Please avoid prurient examples. Do not gush.
This is a Missing Supertrope
A character's sexuality is emphasized by them wearing only accessories without the appropriate garments. It is done not to hide nudity, but instead to highlight it. A character has to be fairly confident and unashamed of their body to pull this look off. As such it's generally worn by The Vamp
, the Femme Fatale
, and other characters that use their sexuality as a weapon.
Generally, all actual the naughty bits are hidden from the screen by things like Scenery Censors
, conveniently placed accessories, Godiva Hair
, or body positioning.
Almost always female as there are more acceptable female accessories, but males occasionally wear only a tie or only a hat.
Subtropes include Naked Apron
, Diamonds in the Buff
. May include a Feather Boa Constrictor
. Naked in Mink
- In the Forgotten Realms novel Masquerade, there is a boot maker who crafts boots that are so beautifully made that a noble woman attended a party in a pair of his boots, and nothing else.
- During one story in Time Enough for Love after a long week of travel Lazarus Long and his wife take an "air bath" to remove some of the stank, wearing nothing but hats, boots and weapons belts.
- In the novel Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers, Lord Peter Whimsey attends a masquerade party at a drug house while in pursuit of a murderer. The description of the scene includes couples disappearing into curtained rooms, people being thrown into a pool and one room that features a dancer wearing just a top hat and monocle.
- In The Dresden Files, Justine at one point wears a present-style bow and nothing else.
- In Lucas Cranach's "Cupid Complaining To Venus," Venus is depicted nude (not unusual for classical goddesses in Renaissance works), but wearing a necklace and a decidedly un-Classical Nice Hat.
- Edouard Manet's frequent model Victorine Meurent was usually depicted wearing a black ribbon around her neck, and in many paintings nothing else.
- On Family Guy a neighbour family are all nudists, which means (in story) that they never wear clothes. In one episode Peter & Lois run into them at a KISS concert, where they're wearing KISS make-up but otherwise are still nude. The male of the nudist couple carries a guitar which just happens to cover his naughty bits; she uses Godiva Hair.