An evil giant exposed brain, sometimes with some bits attached, but the bulk of it is basically a brain.
A sister-trope of Brain in a Jar
, although of lot of these brains don't really need the jar life-support system.
Very common in videogames, less so in cinema, possibly because of the difficulty of making a non-ridiculous giant brain, particularly if it has to move about.
- Metroid's final boss, Mother Brain
- Golgo 13's final boss
- Playstation Spider's final boss
- Featured in Gradius, Gradius 3 and Gradius 5
- Life Force stage 1 boss
- Shinobi3's final boss
- Star Fox 64's Andross becomes this.
- Salamander's level 1 boss
- Alien Syndrome's level 1 boss (A big brain with bonus supplemental brain attached)
- The final boss of Quake IV, the Nexus
- The first boss of Stinkoman 20X6 is the brain of the Humongous Mecha Stinkoman defeated in the opening cutscene.
- the first Doom's final boss- the Spider Mastermind- was essentially a giant brain carried by a robot body.
- There's a monster in Duke Nukem 3D that is basically a large brain.