Created By: DoNotEatMyBacon on December 4, 2016 Last Edited By: DoNotEatMyBacon on February 23, 2017
Update: The trope has been launched: Funnel Cloud Journey
Hey, Tails! Let's jump into that tornado!In a video game, it's not uncommon to have levels high up in the air, but a good chunk of them are getting a bit too cliche. Level with solid water vapor? Been there. Level on a plane? Done that. How do we spice it up? By having it take place in a tornado, of course! Who cares if tornadoes are probably one of the most dangerous and common natural disasters? It's cool, it's surprising, and that's all that matters! Usually, you are told to not get near a tornado, but here, you just jump right into a whirling adventure! In reality, being able to survive a tornado, let alone the violent, strong winds that surround it from a mile radius would barely be possible, but not in this case. You simply have to find a way out of the whirlwind and you'll barely have a scratch done on you. Usually these types of levels have strong winds, almost everything flying around and at you, or said debris being your main ways of navigating the twister to remind you that you're in a tornado. Compare Do Not Touch the Funnel Cloud and Gusty Glade.
— Sonic, Sonic Shorts: Windy Valley
- No One Lives Forever 2 has a trailer park hit by a tornado; you have to fight off ninjas inside one of the trailers as its picked up by the twister and beginning to disintegrate.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: The Frantic Fields level starts in a windy savanna while a storm looms in the distance. Halfway through the level, you get transported to the eye of the hurricane, with floating debris serving as platforms.
- The penultimate level of Cushy Cloud in Kirby: Squeak Squad appears to take place in a tornado with clouds and lightning in it.
- The map screen of Nature Notch shows its first two levels taking place in a cave inside a tornado.
- The Secret Level in Mickey Mania, The Band Concert (only found in the Genesis, Sega CD and PS1 versions), takes place inside a tornado where Mickey must jump from crate to crate to reach the end.
- As you progress through New Super Mario Bros. U, Peach's Castle slowly gets surrounded by a magic tornado. The entirety of the final world takes place in it.
- Two thirds into Sonic Adventure's Windy Valley, you are sucked into a tornado. You escape it by ascending to the top of it.
- The final level of Vectorman, aptly named "Twist and Shout" involves you having to avoid furniture inside a tornado.
- Level 18 of the sequel takes place in several chunks of a desert that have been sucked into a tornado.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon has the mission called "Category Five", where the Player Character, being a batshit crazy Ace Pilot that he is, pursues The Dragon's fighter jet into the eye of a category 5 hurricane off the coast of Florida and dukes it out with him inside.
Non-Video Game Examples:Film
- The Wizard of Oz. After Dorothy's house is pulled up into the tornado, she sees animals, objects and Miss Gulch flying around outside.
- In the last book of The Seventh Tower, the Big Bad is confronted in the eye of a gigantic omniscient Genius Loci whirlwind in the Spirit World.
- Dead Fantasy II. During the big battle at the end, Rinoa casts a spell to create a huge tornado. The combatants enter the tornado and fight inside of it.
- Sonic Shorts parodied the Sonic Adventure example above, providing the page quote.
- In an episode of Godzilla: The Series, the Monster of the Week was a giant rat that controlled a huge tornado. A battle with this rat took place inside the tornado.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.