Many friendships begin only after one or both parties hate each other for a period of time. If said friendship progresses into romance, it often leads to Belligerent Sexual Tension and Slap-Slap-Kiss moments. Compare to Fire-Forged Friends.
- In Redwall, Matthias and Warbeak have this kind of friendship.
- Ron and Hermione in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Initially, Ron can't stand Hermione for being an Insufferable Genius, but after the troll incident, they become friends. This leads to years of Belligerent Sexual Tension and eventually marriage.
- Draco and Harry, to a limited extent. As adults, they are not friends, but grow to respect each other.
- In the Sonic the Hedgehog video games, Knuckles starts out as a Hero Antagonist, but later becomes a friendly rival to Sonic and works with him and Tails on numerous occasions.
- One episode of Rugrats describes how the main characters started out hating each other, thanks to rumors spread by Angelica.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.