Badass is about to finish off the Big Bad or a daredevil is about to accomplish an impossibly cool stunt. What's the best way to really establish these feats? Why, you just simply have a twinkle appear in the character's eye to signify that he's about to accomplish an awesome feat. Related to Twinkle Smile, which is the same thing but appears on the character's teeth. Like the Twinkle Smile, often comes with an Audible Gleam. Can also be used on Cool Shades. Contrast Glowing Eyes of Doom. Not to be confused with Tinkle in the Eye.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Happens in the episode "Stairway to Devon" when Officer Jenny spots Team Rocket.
- Dawn in the episode "Battling a Cute Drama!"
- Captain Harlock (pictured above) does this all the time, and other characters do this to a lesser extent.
- Often done in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann with Kamina and later Simon's shades.
- The title character of Vuk the Little Fox has a twinkle in both of his eyes when he spots his prey. Justified as he's a fox whose eyes glow in the dark.
- At the beginning of Doc Savage The Man of Bronze, Doc drives up to his Fortress of Solitude on a snowmobile, after which we see a twinkle in his eye. Watch it here.
- The Great Race. When Maggie DuBois first meets The Great Leslie he flashes a couple of these. Watch it here.
- The Monkees. In several episodes including the first, Davy gets a pair of eye twinkles whenever he lays eyes on the Girl of the Week, and often as not she twinkles when she sees him too.
- Wonder Woman. In the first season opening the title character had these in each eye. Watch it here.
- Tales From The Floating Vagabond. The Time Police are mighty agents of Truth and Justice who always have a sparkle in their eyes, a gleam in their smile and a spring in their step.
- In Marvel vs. Capcom 3, when Haggar is doing his Rapid Fire Fist hyper move, you can mash the attack buttons to make him punch faster; his eyes will glint to show that it works. His eyes will also glint in his Level 3, Final Haggar Buster.
- The Wonderful 101 does twinkles all the time, most notably, Wonder Pink when doing on of her acrobatic stunts during the game, has a twinkle in her eye emphasizing how awesome is was and blinks at the audience that goes "aw".
- Metal Gear Rising: main character's eye shines all the time. And some of the enemies gets twinkles just about they're about to attack.
- This is used in the trailer for Super Smash Bros. 4, where the Villager has one in his introduction.
- In Hero Oh Hero, Burk does this when he (thinks) he's managed to get himself an acid spewing pig as a mount (by throwing it off a cliff).
- This happens to Mr. Bogus in the second act of the episode "Class Clown Bogus" while awaiting a slice of pizza that got catapulted into the air. To wit, a twinkle appears in both of his eyes.
- A twinkle appears in Wade's eye when he claims that he's going to fly in the U.S. Acres episode "Shy Fly Guy". However, it's subverted afterwards when Wade quickly chickens out at the last minute and starts clucking like a chicken.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.