Villainous Guilt Reassurance YKTTW Discussion
|Villainous Guilt Reassurance|
A character says something to reassure the characters and audience that the villain's still responsible for their own actionsBetter Name Needs Examples
Needs a Better Name
- "S/He knew it was wrong, s/he just didn't care."--Law & Order assures us that being a sociopath isn't an excuse.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Applied in Rave Master, as the Rave Warriors have learned that Sympathy for the Devil shouldn't stop them from fighting the Big Bad for as long as they intend to remain the Big Bad.
Haru Glory: We have to fight anyone who inflicts pain upon the innocent. That's the path we've chosen.
- In the Castle episode "Tick, Tick, Tick..." FBI profiler Jordan Shaw mentions to Beckett that in the Serial Killer's mind, he's directly challenging her and she failed. Beckett feels a little guilty, but Shaw reassures her:
"I'm profiling. I'm not agreeing with him. The guy's a friggin' nutbar! Don't let him get to you."
- This comes up throughout the Law & Order franchise. Most notably in Law & Order: SVU, where Agent Wong often invokes this trope or puts in a good word, depending on the case.
- CSI also uses this trope. Most notably at the end of an episode which followed a fairly sympathetic crook (who killed a former junkie who'd ratted him out and a girl who had the misfortune to crash into him when he was making his getaway). At the end of the episode, Grissom reminds him (and the audience) he still murdered two people (one of whom was completely innocent).
- The third Harry Potter book has the "you had a choice" version, when Sirius and Lupin are confronting Wormtail (who tries to argue that he would have been killed if he hadn't sold out Harry's parents).
- In Persona 4, after Adachi is defeated and it's made clear that he was being manipulated, Naoto sums up that he would probably have done what he did with little prompting ( the true ending reveals that the Big Bad only gave him a "push" in the same way as the main character; he decided to bully and kill people with his new powers himself).