Ocarinas are Magical YKTTW Discussion
|Ocarinas are Magical|
If you ever see an ocarina in a work, it's almost always going to be magical.Needs Examples Already have? Description Needs Help Description Needs Help
Working Title: Magic Ocarinas If you see an ocarina in a work, it's almost always going to be magical or emphasize a magical environment. You will rarely see an ocarina that is not connected in some way with magic. --- Anime and Manga
- In Pokémon 2000 Melody uses one to activate the shrine to Lugia and revive it.
- In the 1988 anime Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics',' one episode that wasn't dubbed and imported to the west, The Water Witch'', had a girl being granted several golden artifacts by a good witch to save her friend from his imprisonment inside a lake by the eponymous Water Witch. The last golden item she uses is an ocarina, which weakens the Water Witch when she plays it.
- A variation occurs in My Neighbor Totoro by Studio Ghibli. The Ocarinas aren't magical, but they are played in a magical setting and serve to emphasise how magical the title creature is.
- Supergroup Cream performed a song called Those Were The Days (1968), a psychedelic revisitation of the lost city of Atlantis: ocarinas are repeatedly referenced in the lyrics as proof of what a magical and mystical city it was.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past is probably one of the better known examples of this trope, with Ocarina of Time as the probable Trope Codifier.
- In Ar tonelico, Misha's mind guardian, Hama, is the spirit of an ocarina that Lyner gave to Misha as a present.
- In Dragon Quest VI, the fortress of the Big Bad's weakest lieutenant Murdaw is reached when the heroes reach the crater it's in, and play a golden ocarina to summon a dragon that drops them off at the fortress. Curiously, there is no buildup to this at all: a character just says "If the legends are true...", pulls out the ocarina, and both dragon and ocarina are never to be seen again.