Rap Feud YKTTW Discussion
Two Hip Hop artists REALLY don't get along with each other.
Sometimes they're for real, two rappers just hate each other's guts. Other times they're promotional, driving up record sales for both performers. Either way, the Rap Feud is a staple of the Hip Hop industry. This usually spills over into Fandom Rivalry. The rivalries and "beefs" are often expressed in Diss Songs, or the two rappers can share billing and have it out in a Rap Battle. Possible redirect: Rap Battle, Diss Song
Examples of Rap Feuds:Film
- Beef, a documentary about rap feuds.
- Beef: The Series involved these. The rap battles were usually friendly. Usually.
- This was the reason Snoop Dogg found himself a suspect in the Monk episode "Mr. Monk and The Rapper." He didn't do it. The guy he had the feud with wasn't even the target of the car bomb that killed him. The bomber used a pocketwatch to time the bomb, intending to kill his business partner, but he forgot that Daylight Savings Time was in effect, so the watch wasn't set right.
- One episode of the Flight of the Conchords TV series has them trying to invoke this by doing a rap dissing every famous rapper they can think of (badly: "Eminem... is not very good! Snoop Dogg... is not very good!"). Then Bret starts a gang in case any of the rappers mentioned take offense and decide to get violent. (Which of course they don't, since the band is so small-time that it's unlikely that any of said rappers will ever even hear the song.)
- Real Life Rap Feuds in the past have included:
Examples of Rap Battles:Film
- Rap battles feature prominently in the film 8 Mile.
- On May 20, 2011, at the Meadowlands Festival in East Sussex, Professor Elemental and Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer met on stage and engaged in a Rap Battle... and ended up singing "Anything you can do, I can do better" together.
- Parodied in the Flight of the Conchords song Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymnoceros.
- Epic Rap Battles of History spoofs the concept.
- An episode of Robot Chicken had Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd going at it in such a manner.
- In an episode of The Simpsons Bart sneaks out of the house to go to a rap concert, and ends up in a rap battle with the headlining act. And wins.
- In episode 22 of The Cleveland Show, "Harder, Better, Faster, Browner", Cleveland Brown, Jr. engages in a rap battle against a character voiced by Kanye West.