Occurs when a parent and child team up as equals, especially with a common goal in mind. Beating up bad guys together, or something of the like, often comes in tow. In this scenario, the parent is very often single, and almost always very close to their child. Notably, parental substitutes may also apply in such team-ups. A sister trope to Sibling Team. May be part of a Badass Family or The Family That Slays Together. If the parent is also a part of their child's team-up, they may be the Token Adult.
open/close all folders
- Bruce Wayne as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin, during the periods when both of them are alive and working together.
- Also, Batman's relationships with the other incarnations of Robin apply.
- The Punisher: Subverted in one What If? story where Frank has a daughter with Elektra. Said daughter grows up to be a murderous vigilante and tries to encourage her son to follow in her footsteps by taking him along when she goes on missions. It ends with her death and the son telling her grave that he won't be pursuing that life.
Films - Animated
Films - Live-Action
- After Jango Fett from Star Wars Attack of the Clones receives his "son" Boba from the Kamino clone breeding facility, the two prepare for a career of collecting bounties on wanted outlaws. When Boba sees the elder Fett die at the hands of a Jedi Master, it seeds a resentment of the Jedi Order that culminates in a grown Boba Fett siding with The Empire in eradicating the last surviving Jedi Knights.
- In the film version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry and his godfather Sirius Black have a moment where they together battle Lucius Malfoy alone. For several seconds, they work in total tandem, as a means of highlighting their bond, right before Bellatrix kills Sirius.
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade has the title Adventurer Archaeologist team up with his father in search of the Holy Grail. Adding to the challenge of this quest is the fact that the two are estranged from years apart as well as the fact that the senior Jones is rather inept as an adventurer.
- Logan and Laura are this in the film Logan as Logan tries to get Laura and the remaining mutant children to a sanctuary in Canada away from the profiteering American company that created and are now hunting them. Logan is older but still able to fight. Despite being young, Laura is a female clone of Logan and has a great deal of his berserker abilities, allowing her to be an equal combatant, particularly against people who underestimate her because of her size, age, and gender.
- In The Heroes of Olympus, there's a scene where many of the demigods team up with their respective godly parents to take down Gaea (with the exception of Aphrodite, who just giggles and throws rose petals on Piper, only giving her a few words of encouragement.)
- Alias: Sydney Bristow and her father Jack Bristow both work together under the CIA and are double agents to take down SD-6.
- In some episodes of season 3 and 4 of Arrow, Thea Queen and Malcolm Merlyn work together to protect Star City against bigger threats. However, because of Malcolm's love of the Heel–Face Revolving Door, Thea tends to default to working as a Sibling Team with her brother, Oliver.
- Lorelai and Rory Gilmore of Gilmore Girls share an extremely close bond, regarding each other as genuine friends and equals. In addition to viewing each other as best friends, they also function as a Parent-Child Team. On one occasion, for example, they compete together as dance partners in a 24-hour dance-a-thon.
- In Stranger Things, Eleven and her adoptive father, Hopper. The two form a parent-child relationship during the year between season one and two, albeit with some bickering, where he takes her in. At the end of season two, he take her back to the lab so she can close the portal to the upside-down. A month later, Owens forges a birth certificate for Eleven, and thus Hopper manages to legally adopt her.
- God of War (PS4) picks up a few centuries after the events of God of War III, with Kratos having fathered a son named Atreus (the death of his wife, Faye, being the starting point for the game's plot). While the player still controls Kratos, Atreus can be commanded to perform actions such as reading text which Kratos doesn't understand and slowly learns to fight alongside him.
- Although not actually biologically related, Ellie and Joel function as a Parent-Child team in The Last of Us. Ellie is a capable fighter and at one point in the game when Joel is injured, the player assumes control of Ellie who has to protect Joel and gather the supplies the pair needs in order to survive.
- Lady Spectra And Sparky are a mother-daughter superhero team that protect their hometown of Apollo City from villains great and small.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.