All Streetlighting Is Gaslights YKTTW Discussion
|All Streetlighting Is Gaslights|
All streetlights resemble Victorian period pieces.
[[quoteright:]] Streetlights are an essential part of any street but there are generally fixed ideas on what they are. In older dramas, expect there to be Retraux Victorian-style streetlights, which are stereotypical in British period dramas. Streetlights usage as a plot device can take three forms:
- Type 1 - The streetlight is not working. Sometimes a character will take it upon themselves to fix it, and it can be either Played for Laughs or
- Type 2 - The streetlight is being replaced, and people feel it doesn't suit the area's aesthetics.
- Type 3 - There is no streetlighting at all, and when it is put up, stereotyped ideas are used.
- In My Hero, George Sunday runs for mayor in the infamous episode "The Mayor Of Northolt", just to fix a broken streetlight. However, the streetlight was not a traditional Victorian one, but a bright yellow one (the yellow 'swirling-light at night', a British thing that people mention referring to after nights out). However, once the light is fixed, everything returns to normal.
- This enthusiasts'website proves that there is actually a Fandom dedicated to streetlighting. They are widely known by roadgeeks.
- This is very much Truth in Television in the wealthy parts of some cities, like London, New York and Paris, as Retraux Victorian-styled streetlights like in the image above are installed. However, in many cases, the LED streetlighting like the WRTL Stela is replacing these making this become a Discredited Trope in some cities.