Troper Types YKTTW Discussion
A Just For Fun page on the different editing styles
We've already got a list of Online Personas, but the wiki has been around long enough that you can recognise different editing styles. The types are very broad and obviously don't depict every individual's style and quirks. In fact, they're probably barely accurate for a lot of people. It's Just for Fun after all. NOTE: A Type is based on what a troper does on the wiki, NOT their personality or attitude!
- Troper Policeman:
- Habitat: Omnipresent
- Function: Making sure nobody kills one another. Mediates in disputes and/or puts their foot down to end them. May ban or discipline other types, and normally has an important, if not deciding, say in any discussions. Edits are fairly rare, and usually a result of discussion in the forums or the Trope Repair Shop. Seldom seen, rather rare, always nearby.
- Favourite Tropes: The ones that don't cause flame wars.
- Trope Creator:
- Habitat: YKTTW and "Edit page"
- Function: Writing tropes. Spends a lot of time debating in YKTTW before toddling off to put their discussions into action via the Launch button. Generally not detail oriented, more interested in new ideas - their spelling and grammar occasionaly suffer for this cavalier approach. May "babysit" their own tropes, keeping an eye on them via their Watchlist, chasing off trolls and occasionally doing cleanup (though not on the same scale as an Editor). If they're in the Repair Shop, they're normally rewriting, discussing or defending their "own" tropes with/from a Repairman.
- Favourite tropes: Creator Tropes and their own "babies"
- Trope Editor:
- Habitat: "Edit Page"
- Function: The cleanup crew. Despising typos and bad information, they swoop in to correct bad grammar and factual inaccuracies. A large part of what makes Wiki Magic work, the Editor is detail-orientated and can spot a mistake from a mile away. When you look through a page history, you might not even notice an Editor's changes -- but red text will vanish and spelling will appear to readjust itself.
- The Rewriter. A Trope Editor Variant. Rewords a trope description entirely, usually because of poor writing, but occasionally simply to put it into their own words without going through the Repair Shop.
- Trope Repairman:
- Habitat: Trope Repair Shop and "Edit Page"
- Function: They tidy up tropes, rename them and occasionally put the floundering ones out of their misery. Very detail-oriented and diligent, occasionally nitpicky, they do the legwork when a trope's name is changed, picking through the trope's Wicks to reflect the name change. Often involved elsewhere on the forum; they like discussion. Any tropes that they themselves create will normally spend a long time in YKTTW, to reduce the chance that their creations will end up in the repair shop. Favourite Tropes: Those that don't end up in the Trope Repair shop.
- The Americanizer:
- Habitat: "Edit Page" of tropes written by someone who uses British English
- Function: Driven by a deep seated hatred of the letter "u", the firm belief that the goshdarned "s" is overrated, and a profound love for the letter "z", The Americanizer changes any British spelling to its American counterpart, regardless of the official etiquette of TV Tropes. They are detail oriented, but other tropers wonder who has that much time on their hands. Not So Different from their British Spelling counterpart, though they'd die before admitting it.
- Favorite tropes: Xtreme Kool Letterz, We All Live in America
- The Britishiser:
- Habitat: "Edit Page" of tropes written by someone who uses American English
- Function: Driven by their hatred of the letter "z", the belief that the letter "s" jolly well earned its place in the language, and a deep love for the letter "u", The Britishiser changes any American spelling to its British counterpart, regardless of the official etiquette of TV Tropes. They are detail oriented, but other tropers wonder who has that much time on their hands. Not So Different from their American Spelling counterpart, though they'd die before admitting it.
- Favourite Tropes: British English, Useful Notes On (insert home country here)
- Trope Browser:
- Habitat: Everywhere, really, except "Edit Page"
- Function: A writer is nothing without a reader, and this is the reader. They observe, stay out of arguments, peruse the Launch and New Edit list, and follow their favourite shows. Sometimes too shy to jump in feet-first, sometimes simply happy to access the database. They may have a Troper account; they may not. A freewheeling troper type, usually unnoticed by those writing on the Wiki...but the largest group of all.
- Favourite Tropes: Any and all, especially new ones.