Iconic Game Song YKTTW Discussion
|Iconic Game Song|
A song or theme that's the most iconic of a game
Needs a Better Title / Rolling Updates / Better Description (will work tomorrow on that) Some video games are known because they're good. Some because they're awful. Some are not known at all. That doesn't matter here. The Iconic Game Song is the song of any game, the song that any gamer (and even non-gamers) identifies instantly. Quite often this is going to be the main theme though it can be the end boss theme. This shouldn't be confused with the best song as that, usually is very subjective but the one theme of a game that if you hear it anywhere, it will inmediately remind you of it. Still, quite often the former & latter will be the same. Once someone who knows/plays/loves a game listens to it, expect it to provoke some sort of reaction, ranging from tears to memories or even a desperately urge to play it. Similar to Epic Riff which is this but for Real Life artist.
- "Moon Over the Castle" for the Gran Turismo Series. Has been remixed several times for each game.
- "Dovahkiin" for Skyrim. And iconic is more than one way.
- "Main Theme" for Halo.
- Probably one of (if not the) ultimate example is the Super Smash Bros. theme.
- Up to Eleven in the Pokemon series of video games. There are several iconic songs.
- "Still Alive" by Lisa Miskovsky for Mirror's Edge.
- "Korobeiniki" for the original Tetris.
- Arguably, "Trouble Man" by Eikichi Yazawa for the Darkstalkers series. Both the four-part OVA and the American cartoon used this song as credits fanfare, which originated as the intro theme for the PlayStation port of Vampire (the game's Japanese equivalent).
- "Still Alive" by Johnathan Coulton from Portal. (Not to be confused with the Mirror's Edge song with the same name).
- Three way tie between Ryu, Ken, and Guile's theme for Street Fighter.
- Final Fantasy series has a ton of these. Expected though, since it's one of the oldest game franchises of them all.
- Final Fantasy I: "Final Fantasy", which became the main theme of the series.
- Final Fantasy II: Considering the games Scrappy status, hard to identify, but the most popular track seems to be the final dungeon music, "Pandemonium Castle."
- Final Fantasy III: "Memory of the Wind - Legend of the Eternal Wind"
- Final Fantasy IV: "Theme of Love" or the main theme (the world map music).
- Final Fantasy V: "Battle on the Big Bridge"
- Final Fantasy VI: "Aria de Mezzo Carratarre".
- Final Fantasy VII: Among the most subjective, but clearly the most popular piece is "One-Winged Angel."
- Final Fantasy VIII: "Eyes On Me" as sung by Faye Wong.
- Final Fantasy IX: Less iconic, but "Melodies of Life" is not only the theme, but as a leitmotif is all over the game. You will recognize that melody.
- Final Fantasy X: "To Zanarkand."
- From Mass Effect, it's probably "Spectre Induction", though YMMV heavy on this one.