It's been three days... OK to launch? Exactly What It Says on the Tin - an old dog, typically seen more often in a rural setting. It is frequently male, often will be some sort of hound, and usually splits its time between sleeping and barking. Sometimes known for having been a good tracker or hunter in the past. In talking-animal fiction, the Old Dog may be portrayed as a grandfatherly character, or just as a crabby old guy. On a more cynical note, old dogs are legendarily unable to learn new tricks.
- Shadow in Homeward Bound is a character of the grandfatherly sort.
- In Air Buddies, the local police dog is a bloodhound called Deputy Sniffer.
- Trusty in Disney's Lady and the Tramp.
- Chief in Disney's The Fox and the Hound fits the "crabby old guy" category.
- Wylie Burp in An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, the old canine sheriff and a caricature of Wyatt Earp.
- This is Older Than Dirt: Odysseus' dog Argos (20+ years old) is the first one to recognize him (even in disguise) when he returns home at the end of The Odyssey. The ancient animal then finally slips its leash on life in front of him.
- Curly's dog in Of Mice and Men is half- to three-quarters dead from old age.
- In the Savannah Reid mysteries, Savannah's grandmother has Colonel Beauregard. Though he spends most of his time sleeping, he did manage to take a bite out of the perpetrator of Peaches and Screams.
- In the Warrior Cats graphic novel The Rise of Scourge, a dog named Sam is sleeping in an alley. He loses a tooth... and that tooth helps Tiny become Scourge.
- Easton Corbin's "I'm a Little More Country Than That".
- Picture a small town / with an old hound / Laying out front / of the court house...
- The song "Old Dogs" by Bill Staines.
- Old dogs have a song to sing, old dogs like most everything, fear not what the weather brings, except when it is thunder.When their time on Earth is through, old dogs are forever true; around the bend they wait for you, come some tomorrow morning.
- The Mythbusters busted the "old dogs can't learn new tricks" myth. They can, you just have to be more patient with them.
- A staple on the comedy variety show Hee Haw was an old hound dog that mostly slept on a front porch (played by four dogs through the course of the series.)
- Subverted in an episode of King of the Hill. Peggy gets a job working for the Alamo Beer Company and becomes privvy to many of the company secrets, one of which is that the supposedly old dog that appears in the Alamo Beer commercials is actually the third or fourth replacement and that the original dog died several years ago.
- Hank's dog Ladybird is also an example. She's a few months older than Bobby, which makes her over 65 in dog years.
- In Family Guy, there's Herbert's dog whose hind legs don't work.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.