So you have your Urban Fantasy
, or your Planet Eris
, or something else. Your story needs some kind of Mafia
-like organization. You could easily make a normal human Mafia, but that would be boring! What you need is something that fits the overall weirdness of the setting. A Weird Mafia.
Basically, this is a Mafia that is made up of a group one doesn't usually encounter in real life, especially in a nice suit. They may put their victims in Cement Shoes
, and then throw them out the airlock
, or they may literally
make you An Offer You Can't Refuse
. Penguins, ninjas, robots, leprechauns,
Compare Generic Ethnic Crime Gang
, which covers all the Real Life
human variations of this.
to Weird Trade Union
- Dr. Dolittle II has a woodland mammals mafia led by a beaver. They insist they've never heard of any mafia but they act out the stereotype.
- In the Discworld novels, the Breccia is a Mafia-style organization of troll gangsters. Their prominent members are known as tons.
- Myth Adventures has a multi-dimensional mob led by a fairy godfather and including a number of trolls, Pervects, and ordinary Klahds.
- Get Fuzzy: In one brief story arc, Bucky mentions to Rob about getting himself into trouble with the "Chipmunk Mafia", which one can only assume was a mob made up of tough-talkin' chipmunks.
- The Far Side gives us the Sandwich Mafia, who send traitors to "sleep with the fourth-graders".
- Rusty and Co. has one with illithid members.
- Sam and Fuzzy had the Ninja Mafia. However, they broke off into various mercenary groups when their emperor and ruling counsel were slain.
- In American Dad! there's the Handicapped Mafia. They own a strip club where all the strippers are also handicapped.
- In Futurama, there is a robot mafia. It only has three members.