A character realizes they're queer after seeing something or being put in a certain situation.
Sometimes, a character needs a little encouragement to realize (or fully understand) that they are on the LGBT spectrum. Usually this involves falling for someone, but it can even be something as simple as seeing something in the media and realizing it fits them. There is some Truth in Television in this. Many people don't understand what being gay, bisexual, transgender, asexual, etc. are until they see it in fiction or on the news. This is one reason as to why many people believe that LGBT representation in media is important. Super Trope to Closet Key, which is when feelings for someone provokes the revelation in people.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Aoi from You're Under Arrest! is on the anti-chikan section of her police force. She was Disguised in Drag to catch people however ended up liking living as a woman and stayed that way full-time.
- Marika from Bokura no Hentai always felt uncomfortable being a boy but didn't know what to do about it until she saw a trans woman on TV. Afterwards she began to dress up as a princess at home and eventually that expanded to going outside as a girl.
- Nitori from Wandering Son began wearing feminine clothes and attempting to pass as female after classmates made her put on a headband as a joke.
- My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is an autobiographical account of the author's realization of and coming to terms with her sexuality.
- Fun Home: Alison Bechdel's earliest memory of identifying as a lesbian was at five when she saw Butch Lesbian dressed in men's clothes, describing it like recognizing a stranger from a home country. In Are You My Mother?, she also points to watching The Sound of Music as a child and becoming attracted to Julie Andrews.
- In the Frozen fanfic Becoming Free, Elsa becomes interested in romance after falling for Freya (not that she realized it at first). Reading classical Greek literature, along with looking at the paintings in her art gallery and putting herself in the characters positions, helped her to realize that she is gay.
- In the Azumanga Daioh fanfic Warmth Minamo has been repressing her feelings towards her best friend Yukari since high school. Seeing a lesbian couple kissing in the streets gets her to acknowledge her bisexuality and her affections towards Yukari.
- In Mishima A Life In Four Chapters, the famous painting of a bare-chested Saint Sebastian being pierced by arrows that prompts Kimtakes first act of masturbation.
- The Kevin Klein film In & Out is entirely about this trope. Howard Brackett is a teacher who is outed by one of his former students on national television. Except that Howard doesn't believe he is gay. In fact, he's about to be married to a beautiful woman. However, as his friends start to consider the idea, they notice that the evidence is pretty strong. Eventually, after many shenanigans, Howard finally realizes that the evidence is so strong because it's true.
- But I'm a Cheerleader has Megan believe that she is straight, more-so because she doesn't fully understand same-sex attraction, until she is sent to a gay conversion camp by her parents. Here she is told that she is a lesbian, and forced to come out in order to start therapy, to the point that she realizes her feelings for one of the other girls there isn't platonic.
- Supergirl: In season 2, Alex becomes friends with Maggie, a lesbian cop, and tries to console her when she gets dumped by her girlfriend, which Maggie thinks is hitting on her. She initially refutes that she's not gay, but then begins to re-evaluate the situation because of conversations with Winn and her own experience of not liking men and enjoying feeling close to female friends — this especially, the remembering of a romantic discovery that she'd buried, leads her to come out.
- Prior to the book, Annie from Annie on My Mind realized she was lesbian. She tried dating a boy a year prior but it didn't work out. Annie herself is the Closet Key to the protagonist.
- This is played tragically in The Children's Hour. It takes a girls Malicious Slander of an affair between her and her best friend for Martha to realize she's gay and in love with her friend.
- In Khaos Komix Amber began having Homoerotic Dreams involving her and the Senshi after watching subbed Sailor Moon episodes with her friends. It also helped reveal her crush towards her friend Nay.
- Played for Drama in Exiern. Typhan-knee describes how s/he originally realized s/he was gay (or a trans woman; the comic is ambiguous on this point due to multiple writers and a Gender Bender spell that turned the biologically male character into a woman in the first chapter) when he failed to get aroused by two women he intended to rape during a raid as a tribal rite of passage, but then was aroused when he went after a farmboy.
- Tedd from El Goonish Shive didn't know being nonbinary was a thing until Grace taught him about being genderfluid.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.