PiratesVersusNinjas Pirates Versus Ninjas YKTTW Discussion
|Pirates Versus Ninjas|
For some reason, pirates and ninjas are perennial enemies.
Perhaps the most obvious subtrope of Cool Versus Awesome (because as that trope says, pirates are cool, and so are ninjas, so pirates fighting ninjas must be awesome!). Compare also Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot. Pirates' most hated enemies usually seem to be ninjas, and vice-versa, even though in real life Caribbean pirates and Japanese ninjas didn't even live in the same time period, much less the same hemisphere. Apparently its just for the Rule of Cool. An Ascended Meme which started out on Real Ultimate Power as a parody movie script and soon took on a life of its own, now appearing in vastly varying media.
- This ad for Juicy Drop Pop had a pirate vs ninja fight it out using said product.
- An episode of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger has all three core members of Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger turn up, demanding their powers back. The episode is actually called Pirates vs Ninjas.
- In the Samurai Champloo episode "Bogus Booty", Mugen (who isn't a stereotypical pirate but has done some 'pirating') squares off against some ninjas.
- In this short 2011 film entitled simply, Pirates vs. Ninjas, a lone pirate and ninja battle over a chest of gold.
- Treachery and a Dead Man's Promise features pirates vs. time traveling ninjas.
- This animated short called Ninja vs. Pirate features a ninja vs. a pirate IN SPACE! (It crosses into Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot territory as well, as the pirate is a cyborg and his henchmen are robots.)
- The sequel to The Gamers movie had a short sequence in which Pirates battled pizza-delivering Ninjas... in the Wizards of the Coast offices.
- Deadliest Warrior averted and defied this trope. While the aim was to solve rivalries like this, they didn't do this one, though both pirate and ninja were featured (Pirate vs Knight and Ninja vs Spartan).
- Saints Row 2 has a minigame where you're a Cop on a reality TV show, and you have to stop randomly generated crimes. One of them is to "Stop the Fight of the Century," which when you arrive at the checkpoint, you find out is a gang of pirates fighting a gang of ninjas.
"Attention all cars, this is dispatch, we have Pirates vs Ninjas, repeat, Pirates vs Ninjas."
- On one quest in World of Warcraft ("Our Mortal Enemies") where you've infiltrated a pirate band, the pirates send you on a mission to attack their mortal enemies... ninjas!
- A Google search reveals multiple Flash games on the theme.
- There is a game for Nintendo Wii called "Pirates Vs Ninjas Dodgeball".
- Atari's 1989 game Skull & Crossbones is the Ur Example; it allowed the players to play as pirates fighting against ninjas.
- This trope is a major plot point of How To Kill A Mockingbird, where Boo Radley's pirate crew has to battle armies of ninjas in order to uncover the secret to killing the mockingbird.
- This Order of the Stick comic references the Pirates Vs. Ninjas debate.
Haley: Ah, Ninja vs. Pirate, the age-old debate.Belkar: And by "age-old" she means "showed up on the internet like two years ago, at most."
- Questionable Content has Pintsize (the AnthroPC—a PC/robot) steal Faye's panties and pretend he's an Underwear Ninja. Faye responds by sticking a bra 'round her head like a pirate eyepatch, thus becoming, in Pintsize's words, "A Bra Pirate! The nemesis of all Underwear Ninja." Marten's response? To paraphrase, "WTF?"
- In The Adventures Of Doctor Mcninja:
- According to the doctor, pirates and ninjas originally became rivals because the ninjas thought it would be funny.
- And the McNinja clan got started when a pirate band attacked Ireland in winter and the villagers counterattacked using frozen four-leaf clovers as shurikens.
- The Other Wiki has a page about the phenomenon, discussing the debate over "who would win."
- Know Your Meme also has a page about it, describing its origins.
- Real Ultimate Power is the Trope Maker; the trope started out here as a gag movie script.
- Pirates versus Ninja by MonkeySeed on Deviant ART has chibi pirates and ninjas fighting it out.
- The Darkness of Stupid Mario Brothers invokes this trope on purpose by recruiting Pirates against Ganondorf's Ninjas.
- Several episodes of the web series Ask a Ninja reference the pirate/ninja feud.
- In a Fourth Wall Mail Slot segment of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries "Q&A" (#6 with Fitz), the final question was "pirates, or ninjas?" Lizzie and Fitz end up having a friendly argument about who would win in a fight. See it here.
- One episode of the animated TV series Ninjago has the ninjas fight undead pirates.