Insects are creepy.
But what's particularly creepy is having one clambering across your back, where you may not even know it's there.
A Back Arach
is often used to show how scarily exotic and potentially deadly to Western audiences a locale is. Someone will ask someone else if there's something on their back, only to turn around and have one or more giant insects or spiders there.
Sometimes the second person will casually say, 'turn around', show the audience the spiders, then brush them off.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark. While Indy and Satipo are exploring the tunnel Indy gestures to Satipo to turn around. When Satipo does so, it's revealed that his back is covered with tarantulas. Indy then brushes them off with his whip.
- Happens to Will Ferrell's character in Land of the Lost.
- Doctor Who has also done sinister back arachnids in
- "Full Circle",
- "Planet of Spiders".
- In Galaxy of Terror, one crew member is stalked by a big spider-like creature in the wrecked ship, and just when he thinks it's gone for good, we see it's clawed legs rising behind his back, killing him.
- A Far Side cartoon has an entomologist holding a jar labeled "Brazilian goliath spider" (the bird-eating ones), approaching a fellow scientist while telling him not to move. The tip of a spider's leg is visible on the other man's head.