No, not a horizontal function of a vertical variable.
... the will to act."
This is when, as part of a speech or song or piece of dialogue, someone refers to a specific thing X, then repeats it to connect it to some other thing Y in a statement of the form "X to Y" or "X of Y" or some other connecting word between X and Y.
As is apparent from the page quotations, this is often used as a means of Title Drop
, whether for a song or for a scene in a movie.
- From Education for Death (Viewable here.)
- Top Gun: "I feel the need... the need for speed!"
- In the second Nancy Drew PC game, you can blame Millie, the prop master for the shenanigans at the studio. "She played her role of prop master quite well... prop master of DEATH!
- From Elvis - "It's the wonder/The wonder of you." Thangyouverymuch.
- From a religion-themed Show Within a Show in The Simpsons:
Jeremiah: My brother Joseph has a sin to confess. I wish I had one too.
Papa Sheep: Oh, don't you see? You DO have a sin to confess; the sin of envy.
EDIT: I am also open to suggestions on how to better describe it.