The Sliding Scale of Adaptation Decay YKTTW Discussion
|The Sliding Scale of Adaptation Decay|
Rolling Updates Launching Fri. Apr. 30 Alternate Titles:
- The Sliding Scale of Faithfulness vs Finances
- 5. Identical Adaptation: a movie in which next to nothing is changed. These rarely fare well outside the established Fandom.
- 4. Near-Identical Adaptation: a movie that changes the material just enough to gain a PG rating or be of reasonable length. Usually rereleased with a Director's Cut.
- 3. Pragmatic Adaptation: probably the most ideal rating. A movie that manages to capture the spirit of the original work, while at the same time, embracing the new medium. These are generally big hits.
- 2. Recognizable Adaptation: still bares resemblence to its source material
- 1. In Name Only: Shares only the name and possibly the main characters
Type 3: Pragmatic Adaptation
- Marvel's many movie franchises
- Batman Begins and The Dark Knight
- The Lord of the Rings
- Much of Disney Animated Canon
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame most notably
- How to Train Your Dragon
- Dresden Files TV Series
- Howl's Moving Castle
- Battlestar Galactica remake
- Cirque Du Freak based on the Saga Of Darren Shan books