Like a Sequel Gap
is for sequels that comes long after the last work, an Album Gap is for albums that take forever to get a follow-up. Development Hell
, Creator Breakdown
and Troubled Production
are usually involved, as are break-ups and deaths
A good cut-off point could be five years.
- ACDC's Black Ice: 8 years after Stiff Upper Lip (which itself was 5 years after Ballbreaker)
- Alice in Chains' Black Gives Way to Blue: 14 years after the Self-Titled Album
- Garbage's Not Your Kind of People came 7 years after Bleed Like Me.
- Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy: 14 years after The Spaghetti Incident? and 17 after the last studio album(s)
- Also a "following Cover Album" example, Aerosmith's upcoming album comes 8 years after Honkin on Bobo and 11 after Just Push Play.,
- The Stone Temple Pilots' Self-Titled Album came 9 years after Shangri-La Dee Da.
- The Cranberries put out Roses 11 years after Wake Up and Smell the Coffee.
- The Eagles released Hell Freezes Over 15 years after The Long Run—but Hell Freezes Over contained only four new songs (the rest was old material played live). Then 13 years after Hell Freezes Over, in 2007, they issued Long Road out of Eden, which was all-new material.
- The Stone Roses' Second Coming came five years after their debut Self-Titled Album.
- It was six years between Fiona Apple's When the Pawn... and Extraordinary Machine albums. Her 2012 release, The Idler Wheel Is Wiser..., came seven years after Extraordinary Machine.
- Van Halen
- A Different Kind of Truth came out 14 years after Van Halen III, 28 after David Lee Roth's last album with the band.
- Roth's replacement Sammy Hagar had 10 years between I Never Said Goodbye (1987, recorded while in his VH stint) and Marching To Mars (1997, after leaving the band).
- Blink182 went on 'indefinite hiatus' one year after the Self-Titled Album, meaning that it took eight years before there was another album, 2011's Neighbourhoods.
- The Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang: 8 years after Bridges to Babylon (BTB's predecessor Voodoo Lounge came 5 years after Steel Wheels)
- Nearly a decade on, there still hasn't been a follow-up to A Bigger Bang!
- XTC's Apple Venus Volume 1 (1999) was released seven years after their last album, Nonesuch (1992), due to a dispute with the record company.
- The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band's reunion album, Pour l'Amour des Chiens (2007), was released 35 years after their previous album, Let's Make Up and Be Friendly (1972 - itself a reunion album but released after a gap of only three years).
- There has been a gap of eleven years between each of Scott Walker's last three albums (1984, 1995, 2006). His band The Walker Brothers had a gap of eight years between Images (1967) and No Regrets (1975).
- Borderline example: The Beatles. Let It Be (album), 1970. "Free as a Bird" (single), 1995.
- Solo examples from Beatles members after the group broke up.
- John Lennon took a hiatus from music to become a house husband, leaving a five-year gap between Rock'n'Roll (1975) and Double Fantasy'' (1980). The latter was released just three weeks before his death.
- Similarly there was a gap of 15 years between George Harrison's Cloud Nine (1987) and the posthumously-released Brainwashed (2002).
- Ringo Starr had three in a row: nine years from Old Wave to Time Takes Time, then six to Vertical Man, then five to Ringo Rama
- Paul McCartney's only example is Kisses on the Bottom coming five years after Memory Almost Full.
- Fleetwood Mac had a five year gap between Mirage(1982) and Tango in the Night (1987).
- The Offspring had five years between Splinter and Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace (in-between they released their Greatest Hits Album).
- "Weird Al" Yankovic took a long break after releasing his Straight Outta Lynwood back in 2006. Then, after some new songs and LPs here and there, he finally released Alpocalypse in 2011. Complete with a Polka Medley. And the Fandom Rejoiced.
- Metallica took six years (and a Creator Breakdown) from ReLoad to St. Anger, then five more to Death Magnetic.
- Mayhem's Wolf's Lair Abyss EP came out four years after their Magnum Opus, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, and five years after the original lineup dissolved following the murder of their guitarist.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers: five years between Stadium Arcadium and I'm With You.
- Finnish Melodic Death Metal band Wintersun released their debut, self-titled album in 2004. Their next album, Time I, was released in 2012, and eight-year gap.
- The New Orleans Radiators had a five year gap between their self-published second album, Heat Generation, and their first major-label album, Law of the Fish.
- John Kennedy Toole wrote two books in his life before committing suicide. The Neon Bible ws the first written, in 1954, and published in 1989. A Confederacy of Dunces was written in the sixties and published in 1980.
- Henry Roth's first novel, Call It Sleep, was published in 1934. His second novel, A Star Shines Over Mt. Morris Park (the first part of the four volume Mercy of a Rude Stream), was published in 1994—a gap of 60 years.