Instrument of Power YKTTW Discussion
|Instrument of Power|
A magical musical instrument, whose powers can be used by playing it.Needs Examples Better Name
A Plot Device or Improbable Weapon in the form of a musical instrument, whose power can be used by playing it. This type of weapon can possibly but isn't limited to being an Instrument of Murder. Such an intrument is bound to have magical abilities, or else it would be an ordinary instrument. Instruments of Power can also be Plot Device's or MacGuffin if the plot is surrounded by them. Plots surrounding the Instrument of Power can make them turn into a Sound Stone , and involve either collecting them all or trying to beat the Big Bad to it to prevent The End of the World as We Know It. Related to Magic Music. Compare Songs in the Key of Lock.
- In PMD-Explorers there are magical instruments that have a different ability, each one representing one of the 17 types. Each instrument can either be used to control Pokémon of their element or can can attack with the element of the instrument. If the instrument decides you're compatible or not...
- Chronicles of Prydain series. At the end of The Castle of Llyr Eilonwy gives Taran a silver-bound battle horn from Caer Colur. In Taran Wanderer the dwarf Doli identifies it as the work of the Fair Folk, with the ability to summon them if the correct notes are played upon it.
- Soul Music contains perhaps the most extreme example of all, wherein the protagonist chances upon a pawnshop full of unusual pawned instruments, and buys the guitar that was used to create the universe. It brings him immediate fame and success, but nearly drives him to an untimely death (its owners are compelled to live fast and die young).
- Non-magical example: In Foundation and Empire, the Mule can naturally control people by manipulating their emotions, but he can amplify this power greatly (to more intensely control one person, or to control a large number at once) by playing an instrument called a Visi-Sonor.
- The Flute used by The Pied Piper of Hamelin to lure the rats and later children out of the city.
- Dungeons & Dragons has had a vast number of magical musical instruments over the years, everything from the Horn of Blasting to the various bardic string instruments (Canaith Mandolin, Cli Lyre, Anstruth Harp etc.).
- Used a few times in The Legend of Zelda.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time uses the eponymous ocarina as a major plot device.
- The Legend Of Zelda The Windwaker has a conductor's baton called the Windwaker that controls the weather.
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracles of Ages gives the player a harp that can be used to travel through time, and, along with Oracle Of Seasons, a horn that summons an animal companion.
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening uses instruments as the Plot Coupons that must be collected in order to wake the Wind Fish.
- Mabinogi Fantasy Life allows the players to fight using musical instruments as weapons. They can also compose "magical music" score scrolls that increase stats, or use the various bard skills to enhance things like Mana Regeneration or Harvesting Speed.
- Solatorobo has the three pieces of the Divine Flute, used to summon the Master of the Clouds to take you under the sea of clouds.
- In Ōkamiden, Kurow's main way of helping you in battle is by playing his flute, which sends out damaging musical notes. Not only that, but his flute also doubles as a duel-bladed Laser Blade.