The greatest spectacles in the wizarding world.
Popular culture, especially in the West, tends to portray glasses as nerdy
and as a sign of weakness. However, for some reason, if the one with the glasses isn't a meek Non-Action Guy
, they are surprisingly likely to be this.
A subtrope of Megane
, this trope has only two requirements: you must be badass
, and you must wear glasses while demonstrating your badassery. Often overlaps with Badass Bookworm
and Genius Bruiser
, in which case the wearer is also likely to be The Stoic
and frequently display Awesomeness by Analysis
. These, however, are merely common traits, not requirements.
To qualify for this trope, the character in question must be badass
while still wearing glasses, otherwise it's The Glasses Come Off
. Distinct from Cool Shades
in that these are actual, transparent glasses. Contrast Stoic Spectacles
, where the character is witty but not necessarily action oriented.
Manga and Anime
- America from Axis Powers Hetalia is awesome and has Brainy Specs essentially because they too are awesome. And because they are Nantucket. Or something.
- Ishida Uryu from Bleach fits this trope to a T. He is easily on par with Lieutenant-class Soul Reapers, and post-timeskip he demonstrates himself to be an excellent fighter even without his Quincy Powers. It Runs in the Family.
- Lisa Yadomaru has a rather slight build, but she turns out to be a Glacier Waif with a BFS (S in this case standing for spear).
- Her successor, Nanao Ise, hasn't received much screen time, but she's the same rank as Matsumoto, Hisagi and Kira, which has to mean something. She can also deliver an Armor-Piercing Slap to her superior.
- Maes Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist was one of these before he was Killed Off for Real.
- Takahata from Mahou Sensei Negima! has no magical abilities, but is one helluva fighter. He's even nicknamed "Death Megane/Death Glasses".
- At Kyon's request, Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya stopped wearing glasses, but she got her first (and arguably best) Crowning Moment Of Awesome while she was still a meganekko.
- Kabuto from Naruto is clearly a badass even before he fuses with Orochimaru's flesh. After he does that, well... let's just say he's able to intimidate the apparent Big Bad!
- Off duty, Tashigi from One Piece is a Cute Clumsy Girl, but she's actually a very capable and effective officer.
- Margery Daw from Shakugan no Shana has these as part of her Hot Librarian look.
- In The Ipcress File and its sequels, there was Harry Palmer, a Cockney spy in National Health Service specs, way back in the 1960s. At the time, this was a notable subversion of the suave upper-class British intelligence agent epitomized by James Bond.
- Gordon Freeman Half-Life is a good example.
- In the Pokémon games, there's often at least one bespectacled member of the Elite Four: Shauntal, Lorelei, Lucian. There's also Roark, the only Gym Leader in any game who wears glasses. Then there's Cheren from Black and White.
- Charlie from Street Fighter Alpha never removes his glasses, even in a fight.