This is when an animal, often an anthropomorphic animal, has facial hair, whether in the form of a mustache or beard. Sometimes, the facial hair is in the form of whiskers slicked into a moustache.
Fictional examples can apply to pretty much any animal as long as it's not a natural feature of their species or in the case of dogs a default characteristic of the breed.
Compare Furry Baldness
, Furry Female Mane
, and Nonmammalian Hair
- Older mice in the animated adaptations of Redwall would have beards made of whiskers. Younger mice would look more "clean-shaven", and a few officer hares had mustaches.
- In the Chanur Novels Hani have beards and moustaches, along with manes. Both genders.
- Wicked has Professor Dillamond, a goat-man professor with a goatee.
- The dragon Ramses in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure has a white beard and bushy eyebrows because he is very old.
- In World of Warcraft the little boy Pandaren will sometimes say when clicked on that he's growing a beard. Pandaren are, of course, anthropomorphic pandas and some do indeed have beards, putting them into this trope.
- Star Fox: Peppy starts sporting a mustache in later games.
- One of the bad green pigs in the Angry Birds franchise has an orange moustache.
- Many of the male characters in Lackadaisy Cats have patterns in their fur that look like facial hair (Victor's snout/face is brighter and looks like a goatee + mustache, for instance.)
- Monterey Jack from Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers had a very thick moustache as well as whiskers. It would twirl itself when he smells cheese.
- Uncle Chuck from Sonic Sat AM sports a large, bushy mustache.
- In "The Old Gray Hare" after a Flash Forward to the year 2000 a 70-or-so-year-old Bugs Bunny is shown with white chin whiskers.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, beards and mustaches are relatively common on the characters.
- In Dog City, Mayor Kickbark and Rusty MacCracken in the animated sections have moustaches, as does McCracken's puppet inspiration Mr MacTaggart.
- In MAD, there is a skit that parodies Duck Dynasty called "McDuck Dynasty", featuring Scrooge, Donald, Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Donald and Scrooge have beards made of feathers.
- The bearded vulture or lammergeier has facial feathers that look like a beard.
- The mustache of the walrus makes it quite easy to anthropomorphize this animal.
- Goats are so well-known for their beards they even named a kind of beard after them.
- The schnauzer (a breed of terrier) is named after a German term for mustache, because it looks like it's wearing one. For that matter, many other terrier breeds have a similar appearance.