Cycloptic Panoptic A.I.
Stanley Kubrick first envisioned his rogue computer as a single round eye encased in glass, rogue A.I. of all stripes has owed their visual design to him in some way. There is just something eerie about it... like it's looking at you. But nevertheless, it's not a real eye, it's just cold, unfeeling machinery... ans yet, the glowing light implies that it is almost alive; completely uninterested in you, and yet, still staring and not blinking. This is the genius of HAL 9000's design, and why that design has endured for decades, immortalised time after time.
Examples:Assume all examples resemble the page image for context. Film - Animated
- WALL•E: A.U.T.O., the Axiom's autopilot, is this on a ship's helm wheel and has been pretty much running the ship for 700 years, in that he pretty much is the ship, just like HAL. Taken a step further when it's revealed that A.U.T.O also has secret orders from the president of BnL to never return to Earth.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey: Trope Maker, Trope Codifier and Ur-Example - HAL 9000 is the USS Discovery's mission computer, tasked with monitoring and running the ship's systems, but shortly before they reach Jupiter, HAL begins acting erratically, reporting malfunctions that do not seem to exist, and eventually killing most of the crew. 2010: The Year We Make Contact reveals that HAL actually had a second set of orders that contradicted his primary orders, leading him to his strange and deadly behavior.
- Eagle Eye: Aria's core processor; her eye fades between red and purple.
- The Terminator: The T-800's eyes are essentially mini cameras, but with glowing red lights built in.
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: The short-lived TV show based on the film had an episode with a HAL-like computer security system that Wayne installed. She tried to kill him. He probably should have watched 2001 first, so he didn't design her to look exactly like HAL.
- Portal: GLADoS is Aperture Science's main testing computer who eventually went rogue and flooded the facility with a deadly neurotoxin. Her eye-piece is this, but yellow.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.