Will launch in 30 min if no one objects
This is a new verion of I Just Want to Be Loved trope. Trope repair shop discussion can be found here:
"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing
Love bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things,
endures all things. Love never ends
Love is arguably the most important valor of all.Everyone needs to be love and be loved in return.This trope applies when a character main motivation is to love and/or be loved.
Due to the fact that "love" can apply in many situations an circumstances.For a better study of this trope.The concept of love will be divided in 4 different types as proposed by C. S. Lewis
- Storge-(Affection-Family). Is fondness through familiarity, especially between family members or people who have otherwise found themselves together by chance.
- Phileo-(Friendship) Friendship.Is strong bond existing between people who share common interest or activity.
- Eros - (Romance)is love in the sense of 'being in love'.(This is distinct from sexuality).This kind of love longs for the emotional connection with the other person.Acording to C. S. Lewis sexuality is called "Venus", that can be part of "Eros", but on its own, it is not one of the loves, just lust.
- Agape - (Unconditional Love) Is the love that brings forth caring regardless of circumstance.The essence of agape love is self-sacrifice
Related to Storge
and I Just Want to Have Friends
Manga And Anime
- Fate Testarossa from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. She just want to be loved by her dearest mother who tortures her on regular basis because she hates how Fate (who is a clone) resembles her deceased daughter. She gets everything she wished, though: she gets a new family (the Harlaowns) and later becomes one Vivio's two mommies with Nanoha. People even call the three of them "the Takamachi family". Probably the Most Triumphant Example of this trope in Girls Love.
- Miyako Miyamura's goal in ef - a fairy tale of the two. is this, ever since her parents' messy divorce that had them ignoring her completely.
- All Shinji Ikari ever wanted was someone to love him.He wants to be loved by his father. And is constantly seeking for his approval.
- Chrysothemis in Richard Strauss's opera Elektra, who does not share her sister Elektra's thirst for revenge, and just wants to be a simple wife and mother -- and this wish is what sustains her in her dark, fearful time as a prisoner. (Note: this is not her characterisation in the original Sophocles play)
- Irredeemable. This is the Plutonian's motivation for being a superhero after spending years in several foster homes with people who were afraid of him. Despite being a respected champion, he's so obsessed with the negative comments and constant demands people give him that it drives him over the edge.
Manga and Anime
- In Dragon Ball Z This is a big desire for krillin.Who ends up dating a very dumb girl called Maron.Fortunately he finds love in serie's reedemed villain android 18
- In Dork Tower, Matt McLimore's ongoing desire to be involved with someone repeatedly pushes him back to his ex-girlfriend, Kayleigh... even while his dream girl, Gilly the Perky Goth, hovers nearby.
- Phoebe of Charmed made it her personal mission to find love during the last few seasons. In the end, she got a Cupid. Yay?
- In Twilight Bella Swan main wish is to be loved by Edward Cullen
- Ayn Rand, in her novel Atlas Shrugged, deconstructs the trope as well as gender-flips it via the character of James Taggart. James wants to be loved, but not for anything he actually does. Rather, he wants to be loved for himself. Not for the benefits he might bring into the life of the person that loves him. Not for any of his virtues or good qualities. He says that he wants to be loved for himself. Ultimately, what he truly wants is to be loved for absolutely no reason at all, i.e. loved in spite of his own worthlessness.
- The Dating Sim genre arguably exists because of this wish.
Manga and Anime
- In Neon Genesis EvangelionKaworu Nagisa Sacrificed himself in order to ensure humanity and Shinji's survival. Despite the fact that he could have had easily [ destroyed all mankind in a third impact for hid kind to reign supreme. For his selfless love Shinji (who was in desperate need of this kind of love). He was heartbroken when he had to kill his friend