Monster Assassination Sidequest YKTTW Discussion
|Monster Assassination Sidequest|
Stock sidequest to kill a single monster, often a Bonus BossDescription Needs Help
A common type of stock sidequest, where the hero must track down and kill a certain monster. This monster will often be stronger than the average encounters in the area, sometimes to the point of qualifying as a boss monster. Unlike a Mass Monster Slaughter Sidequest, this type of sidequest can easily fit thematically with a story, since it can be justified as the monster threatening nearby civilians. It also can provide more challenge and less Fake Longevity than both Mass Monster Slaughter Sidequest and Twenty Bear Asses and more excitement than a simple Fetch Quest. Supertrope to Bonus Boss. Subtrope of Sidequest. For quests to kill multiple monsters, see Mass Monster Slaughter Sidequest.
open/close all folders
Eastern RP Gs
- The Final Fantasy series has become fond of this of late.
- The mark sidequests in Final Fantasy XII were all about hunting down a stronger version of normal encounters or Bonus Bosses and kicking their asses.
- This is the only type of sidequest in Final Fantasy XIII.
- Continuing the tradition, Final Fantasy XIII-2 has them, as well, although they are interspersed with other kinds of sidequests.
Massively Multiplayer Online Games
- Technically, every boss, minor and major, in the MMORPG La Tale, is a sidequest and all have a quest to kill them at least once. None are necessary to proceed with the game.
Shoot 'Em Up
- Dragon Age: Origins offers a sidequest to kill Flemeth, a dragon.
- Several of the miscellaneous radiant quests in Skyrim involve killing a randomly generated named monster (or a respawning monster in a given location, such as a dragon).
- In the first Drakensang game there's a sidequest in Tallon that leads you to slaying a Linnworm.