In medicine, heteropaternal superfecundation is when a woman releases two ova that are fertilized by two different men's sperm presumably in two separate instances of intercourse in a relatively short period of time resulting in fraternal (non-identical) twins who are half-siblings. In fiction, this could also be the result of a Mystical Pregnancy or of working on Designer Babies.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Boku wa Imouto ni Koi o Suru: Twins Yori and Iku have different fathers. —ZCE
- Bryce Courtenay's Australian Trilogy: Twins Tommo and Hawk Solomon —ZCE
- This has happened twice on Maury in baby paternity episodes. In typical fashion a woman brings a man to the Maury Povich show and shouts at him about being the father of the twins. The guy comes out and shouts that he isn't. Turns out they're both wrong and he's the father of only one of them.
- One Life to Live: When Victoria Lord (who has multiple personality disorder) is raped by villain Mitch Lawrence, she became pregnant with twin girls: Mitch's daughter Jessica and her husband Clint's daughter Natalie. Mitch kidnaps Natalie and has her raised by another family while Jessica is raised by Clint and Victoria. Years later, Mitch marries a grown up Natalie in a bizarre revenge plot to steal Victoria's fortune.
- Days of Our Lives: Sami Brady is raped by EJ Dimera while she is married to Lucas Roberts. She later gives birth to twins John and Alice. John is EJ's son while Alice is Lucas' daughter. Later in typical soap fashion Sami falls in love with her rapist EJ and has another daughter with him.
- Guiding Light: Blake Thorpe Marler gives birth to fraternal twin boys Jason and Kevin, then discovers that Kevin was fathered by her lover Rick Bauer but Jason was fathered by her husband Ross Marler. Subverted when it is revealed that a hospital employee swapped DNA results to make it appear that Rick was Kevin's father, when both twins were really fathered by Blake's husband.
- In Classical Mythology:
- Heracles and his twin brother Iphicles share a human mother, Alcmene. Iphicles is the son of her human husband King Amphitryon, while Heracles is the son of the god Zeus, thanks to Zeus pulling a Bed Trick on her.
- In some accounts, Zeus is the father of two of the human princess Leda's quadruplets. One night he came to Leda as a swan. Leda gave birth to four eggs from which hatched her four children Castor, Pollux, Helen of Troy, and Clytemnestra. Zeus is the father of Pollux and Helen, while Leda's husband Tyndareus is the father of Castor and Clytemnestra. As a Semi-Divine being, Pollux is immortal, and spends some time as the Angsty Surviving Twin before he and Castor are reunited as the constellation Gemini. Helen, meanwhile, is the face that launched the Trojan War.
- A news item in 2009 reported a Texas woman who gave birth to twins from different fathers. She and her partner got suspicious when one of the twin boys didn't resemble him, and she eventually admitted to an affair with another man.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.