Do We Have This One
I wouldn't shake his hand if I were you.
Laconic: Elemental Powers
+ Improvised Armour
/ Instant Armor
Using Elemental Powers
to create Improvised Armour
/ Instant Armor
Wreathed In Flames
is a Sub Trope
Anime and Manga
- In Yu Yu Hakusho, there is Risho, the demon ninja with power over rock that Kuwabara fought in the Dark Tournament. His main attack was to create a rock armor then tackle his opponent.
- And for the armor-out-of-thin-air example, we have Sensui, who can use his Holy Light Energy to create two special sets of armor.
- Naruto: Gaara is automatically protected by his demon's sand. If pressed, he can compress it into actual armor, further increasing defence at the cost of being slowed down.
- Iceman could create a coating of ice armor on his body.
- Magneto's suit works like this in some adaptations - Though it sure looks manufactured rather than improvised, he can form one from whatever metal is available. At one point when He's Just Hiding the base where he was supposed to have died is found and his suit is still there - upright despite being empty and (judging by the neck line) about half an inch thick.
- Dungeons And Dragons codified the stoneskin and ironskin spells. The games also include the spell fireshield, which doesn't so much protect as it does exact pain on anyone who strikes the person "protected" by it.
- Flaming Armor and Lightning Armor from GURPS: Magic.
- Forgotten Realms has spell "Rainbow Shield" allowing to use any attack spell this way (Fireball to more or less fire shield, Lightning bolt to lightning shield, etc).
- * When Mega Man uses Wood Man's powers in Mega Man 2, he would have a flurry of leaves used as a shield as long as he remained stationary.
- Baldur's Gate: stone skin and iron skins spells.
- Elementalists in Guild Wars can do this - a well designed, earth-oriented elementalist averts Squishy Wizard big time.
- Diablo 2 had three Frozen Armor spells, which allowed to create an ice armor with several extra effects.
- Dragon Age and its sequel both feature a "rock armor" spell to do this.
- zOMG!: the Rock Armor ring