Improvised Umbrella YKTTW Discussion
Do We Have This One?? Needs an Index It's raining and you don't have an umbrella? What do you do? Grab the nearest items, fashion something out of them, and you have yourself an improvised umbrella. Occasionally, a big leaf or a newspaper are used for this purpose.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- The rain spirit from Urusei Yatsura uses an oversized leaf, and so do the traditional spirits it's based on.
- In an advert for Kellogg's Crunchie Nut Cornflakes, a guy walking into the rain with a laptop and a box of cornflakes put the cornflakes in his laptop case to keep them dry, and then used the laptop as an Improvised Umbrella.
- Sue Storm of the Fantastic Four has used her force fields for this purpose.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show: a newspaper was used
- Circle of Magic: Tris has been known to use her weather magic to create an area around the group where rain wont penetrate. Of course, she loves the rain, she only makes the barrier because her friends don't wanna get wet.
- Dilbert manages to make an improvised raincoat by making holes in a garbage bag.
- In PS238, Guardian Angel's power of 'protection from basically anything and everything' also protects her from rain, whether she wants it to or not. It appears as if the rain is hitting a spherical energy-shield... and for that reason, she always has to bring an umbrella when she goes out in the rain, to avoid revealing her secret identity.
- Gwen Tennyson makes her own out of her glowing pink energy shields.
- According to a Manatee Gag on Family Guy, Mary Steenbergen uses Ted Danson's chin for this.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: water bending was shown working this way in "The Southern Raiders".