The villain is a universe-destroying, child-killing, virgin-raping, douche and his name is Steve. Generally played for laughs, Tom The Dark Lord is when a character that's evil doesn't have a particularly evil name. In fact, this could effectively be used as Nightmare Fuel if you have the character human and a Complete Monster. Tom The Dark Lord sometimes goes hand in hand with Embarrassing First Name, but not always. Bonus points if it manages to be meaningful. Contrast with Names To Run Away From Really Fast which is about evil people with obviously evil names. See Also Fluffy The Terrible which is about vicious animals and beasts with cutsy names.
- Trope Namer: Voldemort from Harry Potter. His real name is Tom Riddle. Good thing he changed it.
- Freddy from Nightmare On Elm Street.
- Jason too.
- In Hoodwinked the villian, Boingo the Bunny, berates his Mook Keith.
- Boingo: Dolph, tie up the brat; Liesel, hold the book; Vincent, get the truck; and Keith... darn it change your name, please. That's not scary and I'm embarrassed to say it. Boris, try that. Keith, ya know? Oooo Watch out for Keith!/
- Which is ironic considering the name "Boingo."
- Phineas And Ferb's Dr Doofenschmirtz is often called Dr. Doof.
- For example, the most significant villain in Final Fantasy X is named Seymour. The name's not treated as embarrassing in the story, it's not a completely plain name even if it is in use in real life, and it's not an ironically cute name. But it probably still fits this trope.
- From Looking For Group, there is a character whose titles include "Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, King of the Dance, Mistress of Magma (he's a... man... he's undead, but he was a man in life,) and mayor of a little village up the coast (read that as "village of flesh-eating, undead hell-beasts in humanoid form")." The character's name? Richard. This is constantly made fun of in the comic.
- In Yin Yang Yo there's Carl The Evil Cockroach Wizard.
- In Dave the Barbarian there is Chuckles the Silly piggy.
- A minor villain from the third season of Lexx had the name Fifi. It's worth mentioning that this villain is male.
- How about Kung Pow Enter the Fist, where as the evil kung fu master demands to be called 'Betty'?
- Another Discworld example: Dr. Hix, the University totally-not-a-necromancer, whose real name is actually Hicks. However, he's not really a threat, as his acts of evil fall squarely into Poke The Poodle territory by University statute.
- Simon from Trollz.
- In fanon (or whatever), Ron the Death Eater.
- Adam, known by his more feared nickname "the Millenium Earl" in D Gray Man?
- Among the BigBads of Buffy The Vampire Slayer there are Richard Wilkins III (The Mayor) and Adam. Also in Buffy The Vampire Slayer there is The Trio, consisting of three generally pathetic guys whose lair is a basement. There names are Jonathan, Andrew and Warren.
- In the original V for Vendetta comics, Adam Susan definitely counts. However, in the film, it sorta counts, but not quite because while he's still named Adam, his surname has been changed to make him Adam Sutler
- In Lilo And Stitch the main antagonist is a rodent-like alien named Dr. Hamsterviel, often mispronounced to sound like the not-very-threatening Hamsterwheel.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable