Crip Drag YKTTW Discussion
The term "crip drag", quite simply, refers to when a character with a disability is played by someone without that disability. (And yes, this is an actual term used in disability discourse; Google it and see for yourself.) This is so common that it'd probably be best to limit the listing to aversions, subversions, satires, etc. For example: Aversions
- I Am Sam is a partial aversion. Of course, Sean Penn isn't developmentally disabled-- but many of the actors who play Sam's housemates are.
- The Farrelly Brothers movie The Ringer is both a satire and a partial aversion. The plot centers around a guy who pretends to be developmentally disabled to get into the Special Olympics as part of a bar bet... and quickly ends up being discovered as a fake by the Special Olympians. Several of whom are actually played by developmentally disabled actors.
- Many deaf actors. Marlee Matlin, Shoshannah Stern, Deanne Bray, just to name three.
- Geri Jewell, who played Jewel on Deadwood and Geri on The Facts of Life, actually has cerebral palsy.
- S. Robert Morgan, who played Butchie on The Wire, is actually blind.