When women hang out, we don't have pillow fights in our underwear. Chandler: (doubled over in shock) Monica:
I'm sorry, we do. We do! I don't know why I said that.
A gathering of characters (more often than not female) in a not particularly serious battle or physical challenge for purposes of titillation
. Unlike a Cat Fight
, this is not an actual violent encounter - it may be a pillow fight (such as at a Slumber Party
), a volleyball contest or Mud Wrestling
. Expect the wardrobe to be skimpy and the action to be bouncy.
Often an instance of Eating the Eye Candy
by any observers of the appropriate gender and Male
or Female Gaze
depending on target demographic.
open/close all folders
- A promo for the Australian version of Beauty And The Geek featured a pillow fight between the beauties and the geeks. The beauties, of course, were clad in lingerie.
Anime & Manga
- From the words of comedian Demetri Martin:
"I've codified the five different types of pillow fights:
Man vs Woman: fun
Woman vs. Woman: awesome
Man vs. Man: gay
Man vs. Pillow: crazy, and
Pillow vs. Pillow: crazy awesome
- In the movie "Manos" The Hands of Fate, the only reason for the nightgown-clad Wives of Manos wrestling-fight scene (to jazz music) seems to be fan service. It has nothing to do with anything else in the movie.
Live Action Television
- In the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Dirty Girls", Xander is wakened from a dream of scantily clad Potential Slayers having a pillow fight, to the reality of the girls in frumpy pyjamas and bathrobes, complaining about a clogged toilet.
- Friends: Monica acknowledges this trope only to shoot it down, much to Chandlers dismay.
- Alluded to in Lost Girl. When Bo discovers she may be facing another succubus, she goes to an expert for advice. When she asks how one succubus fights another, her friend Kenzi snarkily interjects, "slow motion pillow fight?”
- The Lingerie Bowl. Broadcast on pay-per-view TV as an alternative to the Super Bowl halftime show, it features female athletes in their underwear playing a game of American football in an indoor arena.
- Male variant: the wrestling match in Shortpacked! between main character Ethan and the Author Avatar of David Willis. To boost things, Robin added a vat of pudding.
- The short-lived American adaptation of the Australian sitcom Sit Down, Shut Up has an episode where the hippie science teacher Miracle Grohe tells Principal Sezno about an underground club where women in skimpy pajamas pillow fight each other.